At Markforged our vision is to reinvent manufacturing. We know this will not happen overnight, and that it will take the work of many passionate individuals to not only envision what the future could be, but to perform the underlying research to make that future a reality. As part of the R&D team you will own what comes next in additive manufacturing. You will be responsible for investigating the fundamentals of Fused Filament Fabrication technology and Continuous Fiber Fabrication. You will own proof-of-concept development of new capabilities - materials, subsystems, and processes. You will be hands-on in the lab and utilize a suite of analytical techniques to support your work. The current opening is focusing on system engineering and will be working on a cross functional team.
Please select your focus when applying: Print Systems, Software, Plastics, Composites, Metal, Robotics.
In this role you will:
- Propose development areas and proof of concept studies
- Design and run experiments, analyze results, and communicate conclusions
- Design, build, and test new 3D printing sub-systems and processes
- Document research progress and communicate recommendations
- Develop and maintain project plans
- Analyze current print systems and collaborate with other engineering teams to implement improvements
- Make and question assumptions - with data
- Support Application Engineers as they test out your innovations in the market
- Investigate the landscape of how things are made and propose research avenues for order-of-magnitude improvements
- Work with the Product team to prioritize and execute on company priorities and new opportunities
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point were getting at, it doesnt hurt to take a chance and apply!
What we look for:
- Experience (3+ years) designing and testing complex electromechanical systems
- A demonstrated ability to produce innovative solutions to challenging open-ended technical problems
- Strong communication skills
- Enthusiasm to take ownership of some projects, and be a team player on others
- A drive for quality documentation
- A bias-for-action
- Systems level thinking and breaking down problems to their core element
- Initiative to learn skills as required to complete an objective (e.g. CAD, Labview, Python, fabrication skills, imaging)
- B.S./M.S. with 5+ years experience in any engineering related field, or PhD.