Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up, re-imagining, and improving every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of amazing, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets--spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
And now is the perfect time to join the journey. Heres why:
- Its working. Were now in six states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- Were well backed & stable. We just closed our $40 M Series B fundraise and have years of cash runway in the bank. Were backed by some of the top investors in the world--including Googles Gradient AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- Its not too late! Despite this traction and stability, were still early enough in the journey that theres time to make a real difference during Openlys formative period.
If youd like to understand more about Openlys mission, consider checking out this video from a company pitch we gave several years ago at Techstars. Its outdated (before the initial product launch!) but still telegraphs the journey were on.
About this role:
Openly is looking for a Vice President of Business Development to lead its business development organization. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this highly visible senior role will be responsible for expanding Openlys current business development team and driving exponential growth through its partnerships with independent insurance agencies. A key component of this role will be to design an operational strategy that optimizes the business development organization to drive increased appointment conversion rates, faster appointment cycle times, and higher sales production per agent. This role will also develop and execute an enterprise sales strategy that will lead to the appointment and sales production of some of the largest agency partnership opportunities in the homeowners' insurance market.
More details on the role:
- Hire, coach, and lead the Openly business development organization.
- Creates a sales organization environment that is focused on talent development and coaching that builds a strong pipeline that will support Openlys continued aggressive growth.
- Execute the Openly growth strategy by setting an operational strategy and vision for the Openly business development organization.
- Consistently meet and exceed core performance metrics that drive top-line new business premium growth while supporting profitability by optimizing agency selection and agency data integrity performance.
- Design and implement a corporate enterprise sales strategy. This includes building core processes while also creating and hiring for a B2B enterprise sales role.
- Partner with the Head of Marketing to optimize marketing spending and enhance agent acquisition results.
- Establish an annual business development budget and financial plan.
- Partner with the Data Strategy team to develop and implement key operational reports that quickly identify trends and provide insight into business growth results.
- Provide feedback and insight into the Product organization based on trends, data, and qualitative feedback from agency partners.
- Partner with VP of Customer Success to ensure that the existing agency experience continues to be industry-leading through effective continuous improvement of internal processes and seamless handoffs between the two organizations.
Core Requirements for this Role:
- 10+ years of sales/business development experience with a track record of consistently exceeding sales targets. P&C insurance experience is a plus, but not required.
- 5+ years of sales leadership experience with increasing responsibility. In addition, a strong record of developing sales talent is required.
- The ability to coach and lead a remote, diverse workforce is critical.
- A passion for leadership, coaching, and developing talent.
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with people at all levels across the company
- Track record of strategic planning and budgeting.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills that allow the candidate to identify key opportunities, determine the impact, and justify recommendations to the C-suite team.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills.
- Extremely comfortable operating with ambiguity and addressing complex business questions
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Generous benefits packages including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) company contributions, flexible spending accounts, and monthly remote stipends
- Fun, high-energy startup environment, remote workforce even before COVID restrictions
- Flexible PTO
- Training, coaching, and development with an eye towards upward growth and mobility within roles at a new, growing insurtech firm
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity, expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristics protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.