Drift is the Conversational Marketing platform that combines chat, email, video, and automation to remove the friction from business buying. With Drift, you can start conversations with future customers now, on their terms -- not days later. There are over 50,000 businesses that use Drift today to generate more revenue, shrink sales cycles, and make buying easy. Our mission is to use conversations to make business buying frictionless, more enjoyable, and more human.
About the role
We are looking for Tech Leads to join one of several engineering teams to help tackle some of the most meaningful problems in the industryfrom building adaptive AI for bot-supported conversations, to designing next generation chat experiences, to bridging the gap between old and new ways to buy. You will be responsible for product delivery on a small customer centric team.
As a Tech Lead, youll be responsible for managing a small engineering team and collaborating with Product & Design to set goals, milestones, and to synthesize customer stories into a development plan. You will be responsible for guiding architectural decisions while ensuring excellent engineering quality and mentoring engineers to do so!
Our Tech Leads support a wide range of technologies, from real-time messaging infrastructure that supports millions of concurrent users, to engaging experiences that help buyers to businesses in realtime, to machine learning systems that analyze and surface insights from billions of events.
Meet some of our leaders!
Whether you're an intern or a principal, you will get to work on hard problems together. We want you to bring out your unique experience and specialities.
- Melissa Leffler, VP of Engineering, joined January 2019. Melissa is building one of the best engineering teams in the business to take Drifts products to the next level.
- Trevor Rundell, Director of Engineering, joined Feb. 2016. Trun is the go-to guy for anything tech or getting deep on a problem.
- Maggie Crowley, Sr. Director, Product Management, joined Dec. 2017. Maggie & the team own our bot features and built the interaction flow we use today.
- Bernard Kiyanda, Director of Engineering, joined September 2019. Bernard and his team are instrumental in us expanding to our enterprise customers.
- Ivan Saskor, Director of Engineering, joined October 2020. Ivan and his team are building out solutions to create efficiencies for sales teams to close deals through automation.
- Jeff Orkin, Ph.D., Head of Drift AI Lab. Jeff and his team are responsible for all things AI and building tools using ML and NLP to continuously improve our platform!
- Mate Rakic, Director of Engineering, joined June 2018. Starting out as a Tech Lead at Drift, Mate is now leading a team of engineers to innovate the way companies engage prospective buyers and make the process frictionless across the board.
What were looking for:
- Ability to manage the technical direction and project timelines of an engineering team
- Experience leading architectural conversations and owning technical solutions
- Technical experts within their respective domains (front end, back end, full stack engineering)
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy working on the frontend, backend, or anywhere it takes to solve problems and delight customers
- If you're exceptional in a few areas (ex: you're a CSS master or distributed systems guru)
- Have a strong sense of ownership in guiding and leading engineering workflows
- Take pride in creating results quickly by breaking projects down. We execute on small pieces to generate visible, incremental results.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
- Can stitch together many different services and processes together even if you have not worked with them before
- Can put yourself in the shoes of our customers to unite design & code and craft fantastic experiences
- Push for high standards in architecture, security and design
What youll be doing on the team:
Day 1 you will
- Use your onboarding time to learn how things work here and to practice writing and shipping software that makes our customers successful
- Start to dig in and get the basics down (all of our systems, how your laptop works, and make sure you have the right Engineering access)
- Learn Drift-specific systems, product information, and review paperwork (we have to get that out of the way).
- Have lunch with your manager and maybe your team
By the end of week 1 you will
- Get to know your customer - Every team at Drift owns a different area of the product and our Customers are a super important ingredient to how we build product!
- Have received a first look into Drift engineering systems, culture and product process through various conversations;
- How Product Works at Drift
- Engineering Path of Success/ Path of Failure
- Auth & Debugging at Drift
- Customer-centered Engineering
- Review of Drift SDLC
- Have transitioned from onboarding to your new team
- Have your local dev environment set up and you will have completed your First-day ship!!!
By the end of month 1 youll
- Meet all of your members from Design to Product and Customer Advocate!
- Work with your tech lead to identify the small rocks (aka Team Goals) for your first month along with any other goals.
- Also work with your tech lead to develop your list of personal/ professional goals.
- Get an intro to chat duty and how our CA team interacts with our customers on a daily basis.
- Ramp up by engaging in these product processes at Drift;
- Take ownership of a small rock from a 1-pager
- Contribute to story time
- Participate in a green-lit kickoff
- Write code toward your small rock
- #Shipyard a completed product
- Measure your impact!
Drift is committed to being an equal opportunity employer.
We know that applying for a new job can be intimidating. But guess what? At Drift, there is no such thing as an ideal candidate. We believe in the power of teamwork -- and in the desire to learn something new every day. We believe in hiring people, not just skills. Take it from our CEO.
If this sounds like a company you would like to join and a role you would thrive in, please dont hold back from applying! Whatever skills you bring to the table or background youre coming from, we welcome you to start a conversation with us. We need your unique perspective for our continued innovation and success. Were looking forward to learning more about you!
Drift is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]