Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. Were taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that well deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Are you ready for a change?
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to play a critical role in further scaling and developing Toasts cloud platform and infrastructure. Toasts platform processes tens of millions of requests per day from hundreds of internal services and more than a hundred thousand mobile devices; these numbers grow exponentially year over year as we add new restaurants and capabilities to the platform. Our team is responsible for developing secure, observable, highly available, large-scale shared services and infrastructure.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Designing, building, and maintaining super reliable, high performance services and infrastructure
- Diagnosing performance bottlenecks and implementing optimizations across infrastructure, database, web, and mobile applications
- Working with industry authorities to evaluate and implement new technology
- Actively contributing to product design and feature selection discussions
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Proficient in object oriented languages
- Well-versed in software architecture
- Experienced in building and designing complex, mission critical, or large scale systems
Bonus ingredients* (Preferred)
- Experience or desire to manage or lead a small team of engineers
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
Our Tech Stack
Toasts products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java and Kotlin, to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services are a mix of synchronous DropWizard microservices in Java or Kotlin, and asynchronous services using Apache Pulsar and Apache Camel. We use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to DynamoDB to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with service management and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is primarily SPAs using React and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.