Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Our engineering team is comprised of the Applications Team, the Platform & Infrastructure Team, and the Data & Machine Learning Products Team. The Insights product lives within the Data & Machine Learning Products Team. Were looking for engineers to build out our Insights capabilities; this is Benchlings native visualization tooling that gives scientists, managers, and executives the answers they need from their data in Benchling.
YOU MIGHT WORK ON
- Own projects end-to-end, from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout.
- Design and implement rich frontend components and architecture. We build and operate one of the largest, richest React applications out there and power complex scientific analyses.
- Work closely with Sales, Marketing, Customer Experience, Product, and Engineering to establish best practices around usage of our data platform.
- Help rapidly scale our product and team. As a member of the engineering team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring.
Check out our engineering blog for some examples of past work. Here are some other examples of recent and future projects:
- Complex querying and visualization tools - The big advantage of keeping all your data stored in one system is that you can query that data all at once, without digging up multiple sources. This works best when you can query Benchling the same way you can query a database: by choosing from a large number of possible filters on any related objects, joining together various sources, and performing aggregations. We want to enable this in a user-friendly experience, without leaving the application.
- Support point-and-click query building - Our analytics product right now supports technical users who want to ask questions about their data through SQL. Wed like to extend our interface so that non-technical users can also derive insights from the data in Benchling. Well be utilizing our deep understanding of the types of data our scientists are working with to build a tool that allows these non-technical users to ask complicated, custom questions easily.
- Support scientific analytics - Our analytics product supports users writing queries in SQL, but doesnt yet support scientists trying to answer very specific questions about their data that SQL doesnt support as well - statistical tests, linear regression, curve fitting, normalization, and others. In collaboration with the platform team, build the system by which users can execute arbitrary functions against their data.
- Have 5+ years of experience in software engineering.
- Build software with a product-first approach. You ship code quickly and care about the real world impact of your code.
- Have strong abilities in problem solving and iterating on feedback.
- Enjoy ownership and building key pieces of product.
- Are interested in learning more about life science (prior knowledge is not required; desire to learn is a must).
- Prior experience working on analytics tools such as Apache Druid, Tableau, Spotfire, etc.
- Comfortable with R, Matlab, or other languages and frameworks used for computation across large datasets.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Quarterly mental health days
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.