Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Benchling's intuitive, user-friendly platform ensures that academic science isn't held back by outdated and disconnected tools. With Benchling, individual scientists and entire laboratories can capitalize on their scientific potential. Best of all, the core platform is free for academics. Were looking for engineers to build out functionality to service tens of thousands of academics (graduate students, postdocs, and professors) performing some of the most cutting-edge research in the life sciences. You will iterate on the user experience of mission-critical workflows, build core product features to promote scientific collaboration, and help make Benchling be more data-driven. Youll also serve as a key input and thought leader, working closely with the product teams to drive growth and engagement of our academic user base, and help make Benchling the default platform for life sciences research.
YOU MIGHT WORK ON
- Own projects from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout.
- Design and implement core product features that academic users need to accelerate their research, derive meaningful value from Benchling, and stay engaged throughout their experimental lifecycle.
- Own the experimentation framework and help develop organization-wide best practices for running growth experiments.
- Work closely with Engineering, Product, Marketing, and Customer Experience to unlock new collaboration opportunities and support end-to-end workflows for academic users.
- Help rapidly scale our product and team. As a founding member of the engineering team, you'll play an integral role in helping us mature our engineering processes and accelerate our hiring pipeline.
Check out our engineering blog for some examples of past work. On this team, youll have the unique chance to work on a small, fast-moving team in a hypothesis-driven and iterative fashion, while building core product features. Here are some examples of recent and future projects:
- Driving user activation and engagement: Benchlings academic product is powerful, but also complex just like the science that our users are doing. Youll help build new flows and features that allow users to readily see the value that Benchling offers and unlock productivity across the platform.
- Encouraging collaboration within Benchling: The most cutting-edge scientific discoveries are often driven by collaboration in academia. In Benchling, academic users join organizations to collaborate on protocols, experiments, and sequences. Well work on building new features that make collaboration easier and more efficient for our users.
- Building new ways for scientists to share their work: With the amount of data being generated and published today, we have an opportunity to centralize the way scientists across labs, institutions, and even companies share data with the entire scientific community. Well invest in building a repository that makes Benchling the default solution for collecting and sharing life science data.
- Have 4+ years of experience in software engineering.
- Enjoy working with visual and UX designers, and care deeply about end-user experience.
- Build software with a product-first approach. You ship code quickly, are able to learn and iterate, and care about the real-world impact of your code.
- Passionate about mentoring other engineers and sharing knowledge across engineering teams.
- Enjoy taking an iterative and hypothesis-driven approach to contributing features to the core product.
- Are interested in learning more about life science (prior knowledge is not required; desire to learn is a must).
Nice to haves:
- Prior experience building and scaling a B2C product.
- Prior experience working with experimentation and growth teams.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Quarterly mental health days
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.