Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, fasterand most importantlymore accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now were funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- Weve funded over $35 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortunes Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- Weve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe its important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passionfrom employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better Opportunity:
Better is looking for a Security Engineer to support our rapid growth. This person will report to the Lead Security Engineer and partner with the internal IT team. This role will help oversee Betters security operations including but not limited to being involved with vulnerability management, SIEM, automation, disaster recovery, server and storage infrastructure (on prem and cloud) as well as implementing security best practices, compliance, policies and procedures.
Responsibilities will include:
- Work closely with Engineering/Infrastructure to review current infrastructure and identify potential security risks
- Overseeing deployments, build outs and routine maintenance for design changes to the environment
- Automate repeatable tasks through use of scripting (BASH, Python, Terraform, Puppet)
- Continuously document changes to application, domain and processes to ensure best practices are being followed
- Experience with automation and orchestration tools
- Regularly review processes in place
- Drive security projects from start to finish while maintaining a scalable view.
- Promoting knowledge sharing within the team, by contributing to the Better knowledge base, and helping coworkers better understand our automation processes
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science
- Minimum 3 years of hands on experience building and auditing security infrastructure.
- Knowledge of SOC2 compliance
- Experience building out and maintaining a SIEM (Splunk)
- Experience automating processes
- Solid project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Strong knowledge of change management
- Strong technical background with a good understanding of technology and industry trends
- Experience with AWS specifically, guard duty, IAM, WAF, and securing cloud environments.
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain protocol and processes with teams and management (internal and external)
- Willingness to be cross functional working with our engineering team.
- Self-taught and can adapt
- Minimum 2 years working with APIs.
- AWS Solutions Architect (Required) or AWS Security Specialty Certification (Preferred).
- Knowledge of Single Sign On (SAML/Oauth)
- Linux Systems Administration Experience (Installing/Tuning/Troubleshooting/Hardening)
- Networking experience (DNS,ARP,TCP/IP,UDP,DHCP)
- Experience with vulnerability management platforms (Nessus/Tenable/Rapid7)
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do whats in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itselfwe continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Weve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefitsincluding medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a persons merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.