What were building
At Tidelift, our mission is making open source software work betterfor everyone.
We are creating a world where software development teams get better maintained, more dependable software, and open source creators can get paid for the incredible value they create.
Tidelift is the largest provider of commercial support and maintenance for the community-led open source software behind modern applications. We partner directly with independent project maintainers to make it safer and easier to build with open source, so engineering teams can create even more incredible software, even faster.
We're well-funded and growing fast. You will play a large role in tackling challenging problems and helping build the company, while learning alongside our experienced team.
We are looking for a Product Manager, who will report to our Head of Design.
A research-oriented approach. We are looking for a relentlessly curious person who brings a consistent approach to engaging with customer needs. This would involve a range of activities including interviewing, ethnographic methods, surveying, and other ideas you bring to the table. You should also be able to synthesize data across support, sales, marketing, and product to identify opportunities to make a difference in customers' lives. We want you to nurture the product development team's relationship with customers.
Focused on the problem. Our ideal candidate would be a person that falls in love with the problem. As part of a product team, you will bring clarity and enthusiasm on the what and the why to design and engineering to deliver value. Writing user stories and documentation will be a part of your job, and excellent communication skills with engineering + design teams are essential in this role.
Accelerating developer happiness. We want you to be the voice of the developer and help guide a product direction that keeps the customer in their native workflows. You understand the pros and cons of a command line interface, and can pair with a tech lead to translate customer needs into an API spec. We want you to help the team identify and push on the most impactful outcomes for the development teams that use our product.
Tidelift is working with companies to make it simple to trust, ship, and grow open source. Our customers use our tools and services to centralize and reduce the effort required to take care of the open source they rely on. You can read the docs to learn more, and ask us tough questions.
Experience with technical products or customer research with enterprise software customers will be essential in this role. You should understand the development process, and how products can be built to keep customers in their existing workflows. Familiarity (or lived experience) with the software development life-cycle and the day-to-day job of a software developer or team manager will be to your advantage.
- Customer and market research to identify needs and build cases for product features, such as integrations and enhancing data quality
- Working closely with external technical partners and engineering to define requirements for integrations and features
- Lead an engineering team through an iteration of work, and demo the outcomes for internal stakeholders
- Continuously improve your professional skills with a focus on personal mastery and team learning.
- 3 - 10+ years of product management (or the equivalent in engineering) experience, with preferred experience building B2B SaaS solutions
- Engineering or development background preferred
- Ability to synthesize information across external and internal stakeholders
- Ability to translate product and business objectives into user stories for engineering
- Ability to proactively identify impediments on the critical path and remove them
- Ability to navigate ambiguity
- Curious about emerging technologies and open source development challenges
- Exception verbal, written, organizational, presentation, and communications skills
- Strong team player but self starter
- Strong technical, analytic and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle and development pipeline
This role sits inside the product development team and will report to the Head of Design.
We have built a product and design team where everyone is engaged with customer research, design thinking and processes, building the business, and supporting each other. We strive for work-life harmony: we believe in doing good work, with urgency and pragmatism, but at a sustainable pace. We value big impact over long hours.
Were trying to build a healthy, values-driven culture. We want to be:
- Optimistic: We see an amazing future ahead, and want to inspire others to share in it. This is both internalbuilding each other up and looking for the best in peopleand externalwe know open source is awesome, and we want to make it even better.
- Practical: We know words and ideas alone wont change lives. We help people most by creating a pragmatic, viable, and sustainable business that works for everyone. So we care about usability, design, and honest assessment of costs and benefits.
- Additive: We want an environment that encourages and inspires growth, both for individuals and for the open source community as a whole. That means embracing a growth mindset, and valuing culture add over culture fit.
- Inclusive: We believe technology will be stronger when it better reflects the voices and ideas of society as a whole. So we want people from different backgrounds and experiences to not just be represented, but to be heard, valued, and flourish. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment.
In this role, you would have the option to work remotely anywhere in the US.
We believe in the urgency of our mission and the importance of doing good work, but also know this is a marathon and not a sprint. Hours can be flexible within reason if necessary to meet personal needs (like child, medical, or elder care).
Compensation, benefits and career
Compensation is competitive with other Boston-area startups, including health insurance, flexible vacation, 401(k), short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, flexible spending, parental leave, work from home stipend and equity.
We invest in every employees growth, and support professional development ($5K annually) that aligns with your goals and how you learn best.
How to apply
Fill out the form below. We'd love it if you add a thoughtful note about your goals and your background. Well get back to you promptly!