Starburst is on a mission to modernize data access & analytics. Our company was founded in an unusual way; with customers and revenue from the beginning! Our growth is already ahead of some of the most successful software start-ups, and we don’t plan on slowing down.
We believe our opportunity is huge. Every large company in the world suffers from a data silo problem. Traditional data warehouse products approach the problem with old solutions that breed inefficiency and ultimately can’t help business analysts run fast analytics on all their data. This prevents the business from making better decisions to improve their company’s performance.
Starburst provides a modern solution that addresses these data silo & speed of access problems. Starburst helps enterprises harness the value of open source Presto, the fastest distributed query engine available today, by adding the tools and 24x7 support that meet the needs for big data access at scale. Ultimately, Starburst helps organizations run analytics anywhere to make better business decisions.
Starburst is looking for an Engineering Manager to work on our growing global engineering team, specifically advancing the core Starburst component - the Starburst Presto engine. Starburst Presto directly extends the open source Presto project (https://prestosql.io). Starburst Presto is the enterprise ready distribution of Presto, the most advanced distributed SQL query engine. Featuring many performance, security improvements, a long term support program, and enterprise integrations. Starburst Presto is deployed on premises, on public or private cloud infrastructure and is available in public cloud marketplaces; such as AWS, GCP, and Azure Marketplaces.
Our team features very strong software engineering talent, with years of distributed systems and core software engineering experience. As an Engineering Manager, you’ll work closely with engineering and product leadership to execute and deliver on roadmap deliverables for Starburst Presto. You’ll help grow and mentor the dynamic and fun team behind Starburst Presto, and emphasize quality at every stage of the product. You’ll also help manage the global team and work with engineers to grow and mature their careers and the team as a whole.
- Collaborate with technical leads, other engineering managers and product managers to build a game-changing distributed SQL query engine
- Manage and motivate one or more teams of software engineers focused on various aspects of the Starburst Presto product
- Drive technical direction and provide leadership and transparency in an agile environment
- Partner with other engineering leaders to find the best solution to a wide array of problems and build cutting-edge software
- Work closely with leaders from other departments including Product, Marketing and Analytics to iterate on design and architecture
- Coach and mentor engineers of all levels, from junior engineers to technical leads
- Recruit, interview, hire and onboard new engineers
- At least 3 years of engineering management experience with a total of 8 years or more experience
- Enthusiasm for growing strong teams, and making good teams great on both the team and individual contributor levels
- A passion for Software Engineering and interest in all phases of the Agile software development lifecycle
- Experience developing complex products in a production environment
- Demonstrated experience with good engineering practices and software craftsmanship
- Appreciation for maintainable, working, high quality software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- CI/CD architectures and automated deployment pipelines
- Similar technology stack, e.g. Java
- Distributed systems architectures
- Demonstrable experience in shipping features and hitting deadlines consistently
Location: East Coast
Headquartered in Boston MA with an office in Warsaw, Poland and with engineers across Europe and the Americas, we are committed to hiring where the talent is.
Starburst Data, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.