Lovepop is on a mission to create one billion magical moments and the best place in the world for hungry, creative problem-solvers. The brand was introduced to America on Shark Tank in December 2015 and has since grown to become the largest direct to consumer greeting card company in the world with over 1 million customers, an industry-leading net promoter score, and 44% YOY growth. Today Lovepop is available online, at retail locations across the U.S., and via thousands of third party retailers.
Lovepop is now hiring a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) with the requisite experience, skills, passion, and leadership capabilities necessary to drive continued rapid and profitable growth for Lovepop. As a member of the executive leadership team, the CFO will play a key role in formulating and implementing future-oriented strategies and initiatives designed to create ongoing competitive advantages for the company while continuing to maximize its leadership role in the marketplace. The CFO will partner with other members of the leadership team and drive company growth by expanding the product portfolio, investing in the online customer experience, technology, and data, in addition to expanding retail sales channels and distribution within the US and internationally.
Lovepop believes that love is the foundation for a brighter world, and it grows when it is shared. Every day, Lovepop pour their hearts into developing creative, meaningful, and fun ways for consumers to share love with the people around them. They combine art and engineering to stretch the boundaries of the imagination and create magical gifts that bring people together. Whether someone is celebrating a holiday, an important milestone, or an everyday moment, Lovepop aims to inspire others to share love with its amazing designs.
Lovepops vision is to continue to accelerate its advantage in its core card business while adjacent categories (e.g., kids) and content properties to build a multi-billion dollar household global consumer brand that stands for engineering, art, magic, and connection.
Opportunity for Impact
- The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will oversee LovePops finance function. The CFO will create the financial wherewithal to support the companys significant future growth and industry disruptive strategic plans. Key to this is balancing risk and reward, and building the appropriate balance sheet and capital strategy to support the LovePops objectives. As a result, the CFO will serve as a key partner to the executive leadership team and board of directors.
- As a successful member of the core executive team, s/he will connect with LovePops vision and parlay it into a strategic and operational plan that will translate into profitable revenue growth. LovePops market is defined by creating a magical customer experience and improving margins at scale. As such, an understanding of unit and inventory economics, most likely cultivated through consumer goods, retail or e-commerce experience is ideal for this role.
Role and Responsibilities
- Assess the current financial state of the organization, help define organizational priorities in support of financial goals, set expectations related to those financial goals, and propose a strong vision and implementation plan for the continued financial health and growth of the organization
- Strong understanding and acumen for standard accounting protocols, direct to consumer and retail revenue recognition, metrics, best practices and how the financial story should be told for a consumer company is a must
- Provide support & counsel to other functional leaders; working capital improvements (renegotiated terms, etc. to show meaningful gains); jointly work with the CEO to craft the story -- this is the fastest path to a large, healthy business
- Manage oversight of outside legal counsel and strategy on legal matters (IP, contracts, leases) in addition to tax and regulatory compliance as necessary
- Ensure the complete accuracy and thoughtfulness of company metrics as presented to the Board of Directors, investors, and senior leadership team
- Analyze business risks and opportunities, and make recommendations as they affect the financial results of the business
- Manage budgets, forecasts, cash flow and working capital needs of the business. Hold responsibility for managing the decision-making process around important tradeoffs in investment decisions
- Stay abreast of M&A opportunities for growth and manage M&A transactions
- Experience with investor communication, possessing the ability to establish trust and build rapport with existing and potential investors
- Serve as the champion of operational excellence; develop and enhance a financial foundation with appropriate systems and processes that will allow the business to grow effectively
- Work with functional leaders and the executive team to develop and execute the operational vision and evangelize a solution set that address customer needs in a scalable and profitable manner
- Ensure the highest logistical and cost-effective standards are maintained that champion financial and operational excellence
- Establish metrics and process across all business functions for regular assessment and improvement
- Recruit, motivate, and mentor a team that will scale with the organization
- Be a strong leader of LovePops product and its people
- Proven track record of success serving as a key member of the senior executive team in providing input to the CEO, Board, and management peers regarding the financial implications of all major business decisions, as well as strategic objectives
- Experience as a CFO of a capital intensive, inventory-driven company that has had rapid and large-scale growth with a view on the KPIs and how they tie to the model --contributed to adjusting them as needed to drive results and displayed partnership across the business
- Understands the value of a strong consumer brand and is familiar with business models involving inventory/manufacturing and diverse revenue streams. Broad consumer goods, e-commerce and retail industry experience are also an important differentiators.
- Proven experience in creating real-time reporting, forecasting, and actionable KPI and similar dashboards, with the utilization of advanced financial technologies and modeling that have led to clear value creation.
- Experience bringing high-caliber functional expertise with regard to major financial events, managing capital requirements, budget planning, and managing spending to the operating plan while achieving business goals in a dynamic, rapidly growing environment.
- Business and operationally oriented with a strong FP&A skillset
- Ability to develop and implement systems, tools, and processes increasing business clarity
- Proven pressure tested leader that has previously lead finance within a high-growth environment with a fast pace/scale
- Lives and breathes the Lovepop core values of engineering, hunger, magic, and connection
- High trust - honesty, transparency, rowing towards the same thing, lack of ego, getting the whole story, people believe in each other, safe
- Give people the benefit of the doubt, probe for understanding.
- Very smart; can contribute in a meaningful way to critical ELT decisions. Recognizes no one, is as smart as everyone. Seeks multiple insights/opinions to make informed decisions.
- Capable, competent, decisive and courageous
- Strong communication skills. Speaking and Listening
- Mindset of we are all in this together and the team comes first
- Getting things done and just making things happen
- Curiosity for new ideas and learning, craves feedback and growth
- Works well with peers across the organization. Is able to collaborate effectively to drive outcomes.