Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. Were the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
This Product Data Analyst role will support our Product and Engineering teams, providing expertise on all analytics for CarGurus online retail experience. We are looking for thoughtful, curious, internally driven candidates who can dive into sophisticated data and draw conclusions. Youll work cross-functionally with CarGurus multiple departments and partners, and gain exposure to multiple dimensions of the business.
What You'll Do:
- Exploration: Using your SQL expertise, conduct exploratory empirical analyses that bridge disparate data sources (e.g. website usage, subscription records, inventory volumes, etc.) to quantify product performance, user behavior, and/or market trends. Doing so will require distilling unstructured big data into practical insights.
- Experimentation: Be the authority on A/B experimentation, advising engineers and product managers on everything from the necessary data points to collect, required sample sizes, efficient metrics to examine, adaptability of numerical findings, and the bottom-line success or failure of the tested changes. Provide technical mentorship on and ideas for improving A/B testing-related tools, algorithms, and automated processes.
- Advocacy: Advocate for specific, data-driven product innovations that help further high-level company strategy, primarily in partnership with the Product/Engineering teams. Participate in brainstorming and planning discussions across the organization to these ends.
- Metrics: Craft the metrics that define business success, condensing abstract or loosely-defined challenges down to concrete calculations.
- Visualizations: Build intuitive dashboards and other visual monitoring tools to guide daily decision-making by senior stakeholders and the company at large.
- Communication: Communicate and present sophisticated quantitative findings in easily digestible terms to company leadership, homing in on key takeaways.
- Architecture: Conceive of new data assets and build automated transformations (via DBT, LookML, etc.) to bring them to fruition. Partner with Data Engineering teams to advance core data modeling/architecture (e.g. user clickstream logging), by optimizing, integrating, and distilling large raw datasets and metadata.
Who You Are:
- 2+ years of experience in an analytics or analytics-adjacent field, ideally involving data modeling, statistical literacy, and/or user behavior.
- Expert proficiency in SQL. Experience with statistical programming (R, Stata, SAS, Python) is desirable.
- Working understanding of core statistical concepts (regression, significance testing, omitted variable bias, independence/dependence, etc.).
- Curiosity about creative data visualizations.
- Willingness to step outside your role and independently come up with novel ideas for the business.
- Willingness to challenge others ideas and advocate for your own.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially for presentations.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our peoples professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the companyour way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the worlds most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency dont just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potentialwhere you dont just fit, you thrive. We dont discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
CarGurus employees in the US can choose to work from home / remotely for the duration of 2021, or participate in a phased return to our beautiful office spaces. We expect most roles to be in-office at least 3 days a week beginning January 2022. In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.