Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Taking orders is one of the fundamental operations of running a restaurant. In todays environment, taking orders is more complex than ever! In a Toast restaurant, orders are placed by restaurant staff using the Toast POS, by guests using Toast Online Ordering at home, by guests inside the restaurant using Toast Kiosks or their own phones, and by guests using partner sites like Grubhub and Doordash.
As orders are prepared and served or delivered, many systems have to work together seamlessly so the restaurant can provide great service to their guests. Whats the correct price of the order after applying taxes and discounts? How many orders can the kitchen prepare during rush to keep up with demand? When should a guest or a delivery driver arrive to pick up their food? How will the order be categorized and tracked to create actionable reporting and insights? Toasts key role in the center of these workflows gives us the operational data and the leverage to introduce products that improve both the guest experience and the restaurants bottom line.
We are seeking an experienced technologist with the demonstrated ability to make a cross-team impact to join our efforts in this area. This engineer will collaborate with product leaders, architectural leaders, team leads, and software engineers to break down business problems that span multiple teams and drive them to success. This is a hands-on technical role that includes a large component of technical design and problem-solving.
Our in-restaurant products are built on a foundation of Android, Java/Kotlin, React and AWS, with DynamoDB and Postgres data stores.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Collaborate with technical and non-technical leaders to break down business problems into projects for multiple teams
- Deliver products to customers with a high level of quality
- Lead software design for major components, and support less experienced engineers in the software design process
- Drive continuous improvement of architecture, codebase and technical practices across multiple teams
- Mentor less experienced engineers to help with their growth
- Acts as a force multiplier for the Restaurant engineering organization overall
- Lead teams to successfully monitor, diagnose problems with, and rapidly correct issues in production
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Proficient with a broad array of cloud technologies
- Deep experience delivering cloud-based software products to customers
- Experience scaling products and systems
- Experienced at communicating technical designs and contributing to the design process
- History of technical and business impact across multiple teams
- Collaborative and solution-oriented partner to business and product leaders
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.