Markforged, located in Watertown, MA, is growing at an exponential rate and were looking for a highly-motivated and experienced engineer who thrives in a fast-paced, growth-focused environment. As a key member of the engineering team, you will be responsible for leading mechanical design efforts across a range of projects. You will be expected to have a firm grasp of every element required for mechanical product development, including architecture, concept generation, design (CAD), analysis, prototyping, test/verification, and transition to manufacturing partners. In some cases you will lead junior engineers and consultants to help accelerate the development process. You must be able to work well in multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, software, and systems engineers. Familiarity with electrical engineering and software development principles will be beneficial.
What will you own?
- Leading Mechanical Engineering efforts on new product development and new product introduction programs
- Developing architecture, engineering specifications, concepts and detailed designs
- Leading project team of mechanical engineers to develop designs that integrate seamlessly with other functions such as electrical, software and materials
- Mentoring engineers and review project documentation to ensure design quality, completeness and clarity
- Developing internal standards and processes to improve overall efficiency and quality of development process
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point were getting at, it doesnt hurt to take a chance and apply!
What you have:
- 10+ years hands-on experience designing complex electromechanical products such as industrial automation equipment, robots or similar systems
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, M.S. or Ph.D. preferred
- Demonstrated ability to produce innovative solutions to challenging problems
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (SolidWorks preferred)
- Ability to quickly identify problems and implement solutions
- Ability to maintain schedule and work within budgetary constraints
- Ability to make tradeoff decisions based on available data and drive projects to completion
- Strong technical background in a number of the following areas, with expertise in at least one:
- Machine design and kinematic analysis
- Design for manufacturing (FMEA, DFM and DFT)
- System architecture
- Mathematical modeling and control
- Electronics packaging & thermal management
- Electro-mechanical actuators & sensors
- Thermodynamics and fluid dynamics
- Experience with a number of the following tools is a significant asset
- FEA (Ansys, Nastran, etc)
- PDM, PLM
- Personal traits
- Excellent team player; comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic, interdisciplinary team comprising mechanical, electrical and software engineers, as well as designers, product managers and manufacturing & operations personnel.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Ability to create and communicate an accurate schedule