We are seeking a talented, motivated and experienced Principal Electrical Engineer to join our sustaining (iRobot Products Revision & Optimization) team
As a member of both the Electrical and iPRO teams, you will be a key contributor chartered with ensuring our electrical designs maintain production yields and cost targets. You will champion any lessons learned in iPRO through your active participation in new product development design review with electrical team members.
You will also work closely with our Bedford and APAC (Asia-Pacific) Operations team in addressing printed circuit board assembly (PCBA) yield issues and resolving single-source component risks. You will lead electrical failure analysis of factory and customer units as well as research/recommend/test and implement cost reduction improvements.
You will leverage your experience as a Principal engineer to provide technical support and mentoring of our junior staff members, enhancing the teams overall knowledge base and capability.
What you Will Do:
- Manage the sustaining efforts of all robotic motor components and related circuit interfaces.
- Partner with in house motor and controls subject matter experts for motor and motor driver characterization and qualification.
- Manage relationship with New Product Introduction (NPI) teams to ensure the future roadmap has lessons learned from sustaining.
- Characterize and track legacy product motor and controller performance, including startup behavior, stall current, torque, PWM truncation, EMI, etc
- Partner with manufacturing to validate and improve motor test fixtures.
- Lead and participate in second source qualification of motors and motor control electronics.
- Assess and track end of life risks to our motor control components in cooperation with component engineering and the supply chain organization.
- Actively participate in the EE department with contributions to design reviews, process improvements and training opportunities.
- Expertise in various AC and DC motors and motor control techniques (speed, torque, position and power)
- Deep understanding of the tradeoffs at the controller/motor interface
- Very familiar with brushed, brushless, and brushless sensor-less motor designs/tradeoffs
- Capable of analyzing existing controller/motor performance and specifying future motor controllers requirements
- Circuit design and analysis experience with motor controllers including current measurement techniques, EMI reduction, thermal design, safety requirements, startup/runtime control methods and fault detection/tolerance.
- Experience with interfacing analog signals with microcontroller analog to digital converters.
- Hands-on know-how with oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, multi-meters, soldering irons, and other common electrical engineering tools used during PCBA testing and measurement
- Experience with embedded system/microcontroller concepts, including the following: GPIOs, PWM, ADCs, DACs, and serial data interfaces (I2C, UART, SPI)
- Deep understanding of electrical engineering principles in both analog and digital domains as they apply to high-volume consumer electronic devices, with the ability to leverage this understanding to quickly isolate circuit faults.
- Proven ability to create and execute design verification testing (DVT) on circuit designs. Especially in the area of motors and motor controllers.
- BS in Electrical Engineering
- 7..10 years of relevant experience
- Proven ability to work on multiple, concurrent projects
- Driven, passionate developer who can work independently in a team environment and enjoys the challenges of delivering proven solutions.
- Travel occasionally (approximately 1-2 weeks per year) for factory and customer site visits once travel is allowed.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- MS in Electrical Engineering
- Circuit design experience with DCDC power conversion circuits (1..to 30W) , IR and image sensors
- Experience with circuit simulation tools (SPICE, Hyperlynx, etc.)
- Altium Designer schematic/layout design experience for PCBs
- PTC Windchill PLM tool experience
- Familiarity with Linux command line
- Familiarity with Python
- Experience with robotic systems
- AC and DC motors and motor control techniques