We are seeking a talented, motivated, and experienced Principal Electrical Engineer to join our sustaining (iRobot Products Revision & Optimization) team
As a member of both the Electrical and Sustaining Engineering teams, you will be a key contributor chartered with ensuring our electrical designs maintain production yields and cost targets. You will champion any lessons learned in Sustaining through your active participation in new product development design review with electrical team members.
You will also work closely with our Bedford and APAC (Asia-Pacific) Operations team in addressing printed circuit board assembly (PCBA) yield issues and resolving single-source component risks. You will lead electrical failure analysis of factory and customer units as well as research/recommend/test and implement cost reduction improvements.
You will leverage your experience as a Senior/Principal engineer to provide technical support and mentoring of our junior staff members, enhancing the teams overall knowledge base and capability.
What You Will Do:
- Manage the sustaining efforts of all robotic sensor components and related circuit interfaces.
- Partner with inhouse optics engineers to drive Infrared LED part characterization and qualification.
- Manage relationship with inhouse sensor development team to ensure future roadmap has lessons learned from sustaining.
- Characterize and track legacy product sensor performance, including optical properties of IR components such as beam angle, symmetry, intensity etc.,
- Partner with manufacturing to validate and improve sensor factory test fixtures.
- Lead and participate in second source qualification of robot sensors.
- Assess and track end of life risks to our IR components and sensor interfaces in cooperation with component engineering and the supply chain organization.
- Actively participate in the EE department with contributions to design reviews, process improvements and training opportunities.
To Be Successful You Will Have:
- Expertise in various sensor technologies with a focus on infrared emitters and detectors.
- Experienced with analyzing and specifying LEDs including optical properties such as beam angle, orientation within
- Deep understanding of electrical engineering principles in both analog and digital domains as they apply to high-volume consumer electronic devices, with the ability to leverage this understanding to quickly isolate circuit faults.
- Circuit design and analysis experience with discrete infrared emitters and detectors. Including signal conditioning circuits for the infrared components.
- Experience with interfacing analog signals with microcontroller analog to digital converters.
- Hands-on know-how with oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, multi-meters, soldering irons, and other common electrical engineering tools used during PCBA testing and measurement.
- Experience with embedded system/microcontroller concepts, including the following: GPIOs, PWM, ADCs, DACs, and serial data interfaces (I2C, UART, SPI)
- Proven ability to create and execute design verification testing (DVT) on circuit designs. Especially in areas like sensors and sensor interfaces.
- BS in Electrical Engineering
- 7-10 years of relevant experience
- Proven ability to work on multiple, concurrent projects.
- Driven, passionate developer who can work independently in a team environment and enjoys the challenges of delivering solutions.
- Travel occasionally (approximately 1-2 weeks per year) for factory and customer site visits once travel is allowed.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- MS in Electrical Engineering
- Circuit design experience with DCDC power conversion circuits (1W - 30W) , power switching semiconductors and brushed motor drivers
- Experience with circuit simulation tools (SPICE, Hyperlynx, etc.)
- Altium Designer schematic/layout design experience for PCBs
- PTC Windchill PLM tool experience
- Familiarity with Linux command line
- Familiarity with Python
- Experience with robotic systems