Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. We started as a small team of developers determined to bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, were the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and weve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurusour employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
The Data Engineering team is looking for a highly motivated Principal Data Platform Engineer to evolve our modern data warehousing platform to world-class levels! As CarGurus enters the next phase of dramatic growth with new data sources, new business lines, and business acquisitions, we are looking for a candidate who is interested in revamping how we do data at the company.
What you'll do
- Gain a deep understanding of our evolving data and analytics stack
- Define and drive tactical decisions around Data Platform domain while providing input into larger strategic decisions around data infrastructure, data quality, data observability and data governance
- Build robust and scalable data integration (ETL/ELT) pipelines using Python, SQL, dbt and Airflow
- Build and deliver high quality data architecture to support our team of Analytics Engineers, Data Analysts, Data Scientists, and various stakeholders throughout the company
- Be a technical mentor to junior engineers and expose the team to new opportunities
What you'll bring
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer, including 4+ years as a Data Engineer
- Professional experience developing and executing on a data warehouse and/or data platform strategy using a modern data stack at CarGurus, we use Snowflake, dbt, airflow, and docker
- Confident and experienced looking at data platform architecture as a whole and helping to drive strategic roadmap decisions
- Ability to move quickly in a dynamic and cross-functional team environment
- Expertise in SQL, Python, and system architecture with the ability to understand the context of a business need and build a system that addresses it
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potentialstarting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. Thats why we hope youll apply even if you dont check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.
US employees must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. #LI-Hybrid