Owl Labs is seeking a Principal Audio Systems Engineer to join our diverse development team. The ideal candidate is a professional systems engineer with deep subject-matter expertise in all things audio, including acoustics, speech transducers, IC components, signal processing, and algorithms. You see the big picture of how customer-focused requirements influence both hardware and software architecture. You have a passion for end-to-end audio quality, and you enjoy cross-functional collaboration across hardware and software teams. Bonus if you have production experience with speech audio conferencing equipment.
In this role, you will impact some of the company's most important product development goals as you develop the technology that is at the core of Owl Labs' groundbreaking products. You will be both an individual contributor and a technical leader within the larger product development team.
What You'll Do
We are looking for an expert audio engineer who will help us advance our ability to understand and improve upon all aspects of the remote meeting experience. On a daily basis, you'll carry out some of the various engineering tasks listed below
- Work with product managers and other engineers in order to help define user-level details by providing technical feasibility/difficulty estimates.
- Collaborate with your peers to offer your expertise on their projects and well as bring their ideas into yours.
- Provide technical guidance in audio and acoustics for systems-level design, component selection, and troubleshooting.
- Use your deep technical expertise to delight our customers and get them new products and features on time.
- Work independently to design and implement audio processing features that accomplish product-focused, user-level goals.
- Collaborate with a team of cross-disciplinary engineers while you integrate your algorithms into a resource-constrained computational system that must share processing time with computer vision and machine learning algorithms.
- Test product audio performance and features so that you are proud of what will be tested by the SQA team and confident that it will pass.
- Work with the SQA team to debug your work as you take your features to production release.
- Help field technical questions from our customer support team as they help our users have the best experience possible.
- Work on iterative releases, MVP-style, on features that generally take a couple months to develop, not years.
- Post-Graduate Degree in a relevant field (e.g. Acoustics, DSP, Computer Science etc) or a great portfolio of hardware/software work.
- 7+ years professional experience designing speech audio devices, like headsets or conferencing equipment.
- 7+ years professional experience developing audio processing algorithms for sound localization, acoustic echo cancellation, equalization, noise suppression, and de-reverberation
- Experience with audio/acoustics testing and validation on embedded devices
- Strong engineering test & debug skills for complex real-time systems.
- Experience with version control (preferably Git) and bug tracking systems.
- Ability and desire to develop with the end-user in mind.
- Proactive and clear communication abilities.
- Appreciation for documentation.
- Co-worker & customer empathy.
The best candidates will have:
- 10+ years professional experience developing audio devices.
- Track record of technical leadership and mentorship.
- Experience with acoustic test systems such as Soundcheck, Head Acoustics ACQUA, etc
- Experience with Audio certification based on external standards
- Proficiency with logic analyzers and oscilloscopes to debug hardware prototypes.
- Proficiency with Matlab.
- Experience implementing audio processing algorithms on both fixed-point and floating-point DSPs.
- Experience with acoustic measurements and audio conferencing certifications.
- Experience selecting IC components (e.g., DACs, DSPs, amplifiers) for large-volume manufacturing.
- Proven creativity in developing for resource-constrained hardware environments.
The best candidates will share examples of:
- Grit & resilience.
- Leadership and the development of people on their past teams.
- Problem solving.
- Work ethic.
- Teamwork & collaboration with peers/co-workers.
- A measurable history of performance.
- Self-awareness & coachability.
Owl Labs is over 40% remote and headquarters are based in Boston, MA. This role can be either an on-site or remote position. Please specify in your application. Our team is currently working 100% remote due to COVID-19.
Owl Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to our values of embracing inclusivity and creating a culture where everyone feels respected and connected, no matter the location of their work environment. We invite applications from people of all walks of life and are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need accommodations due to a disability, please let us know.
Who We Are
Owl Labs is a collaborative tech company, creating an equalized meeting and learning experience for all, wherever participants may be. Powering hybrid teams and remote work is in our DNA. Owl Labs has been a leader when it comes to celebrating and connecting hybrid teams and classrooms -- meaning both in-office and remote workers, in-room students and at-home learning. Were best known for the Meeting Owl product line, a smart 360 camera, mic, speaker all-in-one solution. Sitting in the center of the table, the Meeting Owl uses vision and voice recognition to shift the camera to focus on whos speaking, giving all participants a feeling as if theyre in the same room. With the continued rise of hybrid teams and remote workers, our products allow for better collaboration and productivity no matter your location.
Our award-winning product, the Meeting Owl Pro, has been recognized by CES Innovation Awards 2020, Red Dot Design Awards 2020, SXSW Innovation Awards 2020 and our team recognized as an Inc. Best Workplaces 2020 and the esteemed Inc.s Editors List.