The driving force behind our success has always been the people of AspenTech. What drives us, is our aspiration, our desire and ambition to keep pushing the envelope, overcoming any hurdle, challenging the status quo to continually find a better way. You will experience these qualities of passion, pride and aspiration in many ways from a rich set of career development programs to support of community service projects to social events that foster fun and relationship building across our global community.
The Principal Accountant position is an integral part of the Revenue Operations team tasked with accounting for the Companys Contract Asset balance according to US GAAP. The Principal Accountant will collaborate with the Revenue Determination and GL teams within the Company to understand and proactively review and analyze the contract asset balance sheet account. This position will report into the Revenue Accounting Manager.
- Preparation of monthly journal entries and account reconciliations
- Preparation of quarterly analytics and account rollforwards
- Assist with managers transactional contract asset review (templates)
- Collaborate with other Revenue team members to review activity and prepare the monthly close
- Review balance sheet accounts, including contract assets and deferred revenue, for presentation in SEC filings
- Be responsible for maintaining deferred revenue accounts in connection with monthly and quarterly close processes
- Assist the Information Systems group in developing improvements to reporting relating to the accounting for contract assets
- Coordinate with other members of the Finance team regarding revenue and contract asset disclosures
- Assist in preparation of schedules and analysis for external auditors
- Identify and implement process and system improvements in the monthly close process
- Document policies, procedures, and workflow for assigned areas of responsibility
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 5+ years of relevant GL accounting experience; multi-currency accounting experience is a plus.
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Excellent analytical, quantitative skills and accounting research skills.
- Attention to detail with a high level of accuracy and consistency in preparing work
- Able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team; be self-motivated and proactive.
- Intermediate to advanced experience with MS Excel.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of major accounting software packages for general ledger accounting. (Oracle R12 experience is a plus.)