The Manager, Proposal Operations manages the staff who complete integrated RFP/bid/proposals across all product lines for the sales organization, as well as the throughput from other members of the Proposals, Pricing and Solutions Teams. Responsibilities are focused on managing the accurate preparation of budget and proposals across all product lines, including data and document management/tracking and reporting, including oversight of activity by other Proposal Operations Team members. Additionally, the Manager is responsible for RFI review and oversight.
ERT is a global data and technology company that minimizes uncertainty and risk in clinical trials so that our customers can move ahead with confidence. With more than 45 years of clinical and therapeutic experience, ERT balances knowledge of what works with a vision for what’s next, so it can adapt without compromising standards.
Powered by the company’s EXPERT® technology platform, ERT’s solutions enhance trial oversight, enable site optimization, increase patient engagement, and measure the efficacy of new clinical treatments while ensuring patient safety. Over the past four years, more than half of all FDA drug approvals came from ERT-supported studies. Pharma companies, Biotechs, and CROs have relied on ERT solutions in 9,500+ studies spanning three million patients to date. By identifying trial risks before they become problems, ERT enables customers to bring clinical treatments to patients quickly – and with confidence. For more information, go to ert.com or follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the activities of the Proposal Operations team, including Team Lead and individual proposal contributors throughout multiple geographic regions.
- Ensures all proposal personnel within each region are operating effectively and that all teams are coordinated in their approach, as well as ensuring requirements, expectations and objectives are consistent and clear to all staff. Serve as a point of reference, guide and mentor for all individual team members.
- Manages the process of analyzing the project specifications and coordinates with internal ERT stakeholders including Business Development, Finance, Project Management, Operations, and the Executive Management Team on the specifications of the RFP/RFI.
- Oversees the team which develops competitive written responses to meet client requests, across all product lines. Also reviews written responses by other Proposal Team members, to ensure accuracy and clarity.
- Using advanced knowledge of ERT’s processes across all product lines, drafts complex/non-standard/integrated proposals and RFI responses. Exposes and communicates potential risk as appropriate on specific business and/or legal issues relating to proposals. Also reviews deliverables from other Proposal Team members, to ensure accuracy and clarity.
- Manages proposal workflow via CRM system, ensuring all internal approvals are received for all documents created. Also reviews CRM entries by other Proposal Operations Team members, to ensure accuracy and clarity.
- Manages oversight of all related data in the CRM/central database to ensure that accurate and concise information is obtained and captured to allow reporting of new booked business, identifying backlog and forecast information. Accuracy of captured data is essential since the information is disseminated throughout the organization to Finance, Sales, Operations, and Project Management and all relevant integrated business systems.
- Performs the selection, mentoring, and training of staff. Accomplishes team results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; developing, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, procedures, and productivity standards.
- Makesrecommendations for budget/expense control and/or revenue generation.
- Manages and enforces maintenance of an organized file structure for all documents in process to facilitate final QC.
- Manages and enforces maintenance of a current pool of client facing text by coordinating updates based on functional department feedback and creates new text when needed.
- Manages and enforces branding guidelines.
- Reviews team members’ proposals as needed and required for auditing purposes.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads Proposal Operations Team to develop client strategies related to bid responses and pricing for customers. Coordinates with senior members of ERT on high-visibility/competitive proposal and bid actions for customers.
- Attends client meetings and participates on client calls individually and/or with Business Development as needed.
- Participates in meetings with Sales Operations team, Sales to Services meetings, and other departmental meetings as needed.
- Prepares comprehensive and complete responses to customer questionnaires.
- Provide review and guidance as required and needed via regular team and individual meetings, including annual reviews and career development discussions.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications to ensure team growth and benchmark strategies.
- Reviews project contracts, as required.
- Provides other support and takes on other responsibilities as defined by management.
- Performs other duties, assignments, or special projects as needed.
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description represent the major responsibilities of the position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned, as required. ERT reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of ERT. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Qualifications and Skills Needed:
- Bachelor’s Degree or company specific or proven related experience in business, communications, marketing, English, or a closely related field is strongly preferred. However, any equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to perform job duties may be considered.
- 6+ years’ commercial proposal or sales experience with a good understanding of concepts, practices, and procedures.
- 2-5+ years management experience, or 1-3+ years’ experience in a Lead Proposals role at ERT. Must have demonstrated managerial skills and ability to manage staff.
- Proven leadership skills and an ability to collaborate and organize a team to effectively match protocol or RFP requests to ensure maximum positioning for ERT and most attractive offer for customers.
- Pharmaceutical and/or CRO or related commercial background required.
- Experience in a fast paced multi-task environment; ability to work independently and under pressure.
- Exceptional computer skills (MS Office Suite minimum).
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Excellent personal interaction skills, professional telephone and client interaction skills.
- Excellent judgment, attention to detail, communication and customer skills plus the ability to work as part of a team as well as individual contributor.
The Department Head has the discretion to hire personnel with a combination of experience and education, which may vary from the above listed qualification.