Challenging convention. Trying new things. Reshaping an industry.
The team at Duck Creek helps insurance companies bring amazing ideas to life quickly and easily with software that thinks and works like they do. We're fueled by sharing ideas openly, challenging conventions, trying new things, and valuing "Why not?" over "Why?" Our certainty that there is always a better way to do things keeps carriers ahead of their competition and is helping to reshape an industry.
If having a hand in transforming one of the worlds oldest and largest industries into a standard for innovation, open exchange, and peerless user experience sounds exciting, let us know. We may be looking for you.
The Technical Writer role is an experienced mid-level role responsible for working with an agile development team to create software documentation and manuals to support our customers and partners. This role integrates the Technical Writing strategy, principles, and process into the project team and proposes ways for the teams improvement. The role attempts to understand the business, technical, and user needs in order to translate those needs into meaningful software documentation for the intended audience while adhering to style guides and quality assurance standards.
- Reviews and translates release requirements into meaningful documentation
- Reaches out to the Technical Writing/documentation leadership on input into deliverables, insight, recommendations or peer review; raises issues with leads with proposed solutions
- Active participant in all project and skill group meetings ensuring that documentation is an integral part of product development
- Presents or communicates deliverables to a stakeholder audience such as a Product Manager or Engineering Lead
- Demonstrates ability to write high quality documentation, identify opportunities for adjustment or improvement to process within a project team and conduct peer reviews
- Collaborates and communicates professionally with teams and customers, as applicable
- Works within an Agile team environment
- Provides input into estimates to meet project delivery timelines on documentation deliverables
- Expands upon core technical writing skills, P&C industry acumen, and functional knowledge for Duck Creek products for the Technical Writing/Technical Communications/documentation skill group and develops critical skills to become a core subject matter expert.
- Performs other related duties and activities as required.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Technical Communications, Technical Writing, Professional Writing, Business Writing, or related degree
- Work Experience: 5+ years with a software company as a Technical Writer (insurance industry software preferred, but not required)
- Preferred experience in:
- Agile methodology
- Software documentation
- Working with a team of other Technical Writers
- Property and Casualty Insurance industry
Preferred Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Ability to be active in escalation and mitigation of project delivery and quality risks.
- Ability to be an active, vocal participant in all discussions and meetings.
- Ability to be active in challenging approaches taken to drive quality outcomes.
- Basic HTML or scripting skills.
- Basic Microsoft SharePoint, Visio, Visual Studio Online and Azure DevOps skills.
- Strong analytical, collaboration and estimation skills.
- Strong Microsoft suite skills
- Strong problem-solving skills, able to solve increasingly complex business problems and implement solutions.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Strong sense of responsibility and ownership, with decisions regularly impacting own work as well as work of others.
- Strong time management and priority management skills, able to drive expected outcomes often dealing with multiple tasks and areas of focus.
- Travel: 0-10% ; at this time, this is a temporary remote position as is Duck Creek permitting all employees to work remotely from the comfort of their homes until May 2021. You may be expected to work from the Duck Creek office in your city Monday through Friday during normal business hours depending on local/government/health regulations related to COVID-19 at some point starting in May 2021.
- Work Authorization: Legally authorized to work in the country of the job location.
- Physical: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
More Jobs From