Data is at the heart of Bloomberg's technologies, which produce and distribute some of the most critical and valuable data in global business. The Storage Engineering teams design and maintain the systems which store and process that data. As a Team Lead inside the Storage Engineering area we would expect you to be proficient in both software and hardware systems, as well as being a thoughtful people leader.
This is not a traditional storage team: we expect our engineers to design and build a highly available, scalable, and durable storage platform. Our platform is a unique mix of commodity hardware, open source software-defined storage, and appliance-based storage solutions. In addition to shepherding our core storage systems, our team is modernizing our automation software for provisioning and management of both vendor storage and software defined storage inside of the Bloomberg ecosystem. The Storage Engineering team works closely with the community and our engineering users to stay at the forefront of both evolving hardware technologies and software engineering practices.
What's in it for you:
This is a unique opportunity to help build robust, high-scale systems which will power the future of Bloomberg's automated storage infrastructure. We'll trust you to motivate and manage by providing a clear technical vision, championing the best technology, and keeping up with the best ideas in the industry.
We'll trust you to:
- Lead a team of infrastructure and software engineers responsible for our global storage infrastructure
- Own the performance and availability of our storage products, innovating with your team to continuously improve upon both
- Build automation around all phases of the storage lifecycle, eliminating toil, automating responses to failures, and generally eliminating as much operational work as possible
- Inspire and motivate a high-performing team, leading by example while supporting individual growth and development
- Develop technical solutions which combine hardware and software to achieve required service levels, performance, and economics
You need to have:
- Experience managing teams responsible for mission-critical production systems
- Hands-on software development experience in some combination of C/C++ or Python
- Experience working with large-scale distributed systems including deep dives into code, storage hardware, networking, and operating systems
- The ability to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle them effectively to resolution
We'd love to see:
- Contributions to Open Source projects especially related to Storage, Automation, or Performance Monitoring
- Thorough knowledge and experience with data storage algorithms, technologies such as erasure coding, and complex production troubleshooting
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems
If this sounds like something you would be passionate about apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
More Jobs From