** A note from Truss: We know youre likely experiencing a lot of disruption as our nation (and our world) responds to COVID-19 - were experiencing it, too. There are two things we want you to know when it comes to hiring. First, were financially stable. We have a variety of well-established government contracts that we expect to continue over the next few years. Also, were winning new work, and we have a robust rainy day fund. Second, during video interviews, youll likely see more of our human side. Family members, partners, kids and pets are home with some of us! We promise to be present and engaged, but we may be a little...harried. Its OK if you are, too - we understand that everyone is experiencing extra stress right now. If you have any questions along the way, please let us know, and stay healthy and safe. **
* This position will be open to applications until 9am Pacific, Friday 11/06/2020
Truss is a software consultancy tackling tough technical and digital service problems for the government and the private sector. We practice and advocate modern design and development practices to build user centered solutions and streamline infrastructure.
We are known for pragmatism, autonomy, expertise, and trust. We build strong relationships with our clients, contractors, and employees and we believe that good relationships are fundamental to doing great work. We are emphatically user centered in our approach.
As a senior user experience designer at Truss, you will learn and model our organizational values for our clients, while working on complex and meaningful projects. You will research and explore what end users need, and come up with solutions to meet these needs.
Because Truss is a consultancy and works on all types of projects, were looking for designers who can contribute in multiple areas. Great candidates have a broad range of skills to complement select areas of expertise (aka T-shaped designers).
We expect all designers to have at least five years of fluency in:
- Research and synthesis. Experience facilitating and conducting research methods both remotely and in-person, and quickly synthesizing research findings to drive actionable work
- Consulting skills, including regularly teaching and demonstrating the value and process of human-centered design to colleagues and clients
- Collaborating on cross-functional teams of designers, product managers, and software engineers
- Communication skills, including the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and the ability to listen thoughtfully. High comfort level presenting persuasively to stakeholders
In addition, we expect you as a senior designer to have deeper experience working on complex projects, and the demonstrated ability to lead in at least TWO of these areas:
- Research and synthesis
- Interaction design
- User interface design
- Content design and information architecture
- Design strategy
In this position you will be part of a cross-functional team to:
- Develop an approach to Discovery and Framing, including: defining outcomes of discovery; understanding stakeholder and user needs; understanding a problem space; and, determining which problems are the right problems to solve based on scope, impact, etc.
- Work directly with government and private sector clients, and product owners to carry out and refine project scope, execute research strategies and synthesize research data into actionable insights
- Rapidly iterate on prototypes and design solutions that take into account research insights, constraints, and timelines
- Deliver artifacts to guide product and development potentially using wireframes, sitemaps, flowcharts, storyboards, user stories, research findings, etc.
- Create written materials and visual presentations that are accessible to non-experts
- Align with other stakeholders through agile sprints for a cohesive and strategic vision
- Use modern interaction design patterns and best practices
- Design and conduct usability tests, incorporating results into future product planning
- Commit to making what we build accessible and inclusive to users
- Domestic travel as needed to do primary user research, meet with coworkers, and attend major client meetings approximately every couple of months. This is usually 30% of time during normal operations. (As the nation responds to COVID-19, we expect no travel at this time.)
- Be human together. We believe that investing time in being human together enriches our day, whether its a remote scavenger hunt, a time to share a good laugh, or a moment to discuss our uncertainties and struggles.
We are seeking people who can generate a significant impact on improving government services and do meaningful work in the private sector. A position with Truss will give you the opportunity to continuously enrich your skill-sets, working in an energetic, yet balanced environment as part of a team of curious, helpful people.
You will report to the Director of Research & Design, or to one of the practices design managers. Youll help establish and document human-centered design and content practices. We look forward to considering your application!
The salary range for this role is: $ 152,500 - $ 206,000
If you have more experience than is reflected here, thats great! Well be pleased to exercise your broader/deeper skill set. We value inclusion and welcome diverse viewpoints. You must be eligible to work in the US. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!