Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, fasterand most importantlymore accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now were funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- Weve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortunes Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- Weve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each persons perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe its important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passionfrom employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better Opportunity
To help us achieve our mission, we are looking for a Senior Staff Engineer that will report into our Head of Engineering, Lending Platform.
In this role, you will partner closely with the Head of Engineering and other senior leaders within our Lending Platform group driving large technical projects, focusing on platforming our core lending capabilities.You will be responsible for running large scale cross-functional initiatives across credit decisioning and underwriting, mortgage origination, and capital markets business areas, transforming these core capabilities into a composable, self-serviceable business platform. Additionally, you will be responsible for developing technology standards and governance processes across the organization. Youll be a key member of the fastest growing engineering team, reporting directly to the Head of Engineering, Lending Platform.
- Lead the initiation and execution of strategic platform initiatives, including the development of engineering metrics, quality of service measurement, and standards
- Setting a long-term tech vision or north star that can guide the team when faced with a consequential decision
- Design cohesive cross-business API contracts, event schemas, and SDK interfaces while contributing code at high-leverage points of the codebase
- Facilitate honest and engaging technology discussions with engineers and product across the org, collating feedback and building consensus around important technology decisions
- Advise engineering leadership on key technical considerations related to Better.coms foundational business platforms around underwriting, origination, and pricing; If youre successful, you will change the trajectory of the mortgage technology industry
- Partner with and mentor engineers, helping to bring up the next generation of technology leaders in the company
- You have a proven track record of engineering accomplishments, including 7+ years of experience with event-driven systems design/architecture and API design at a major consumer product technology company
- You can demonstrate broad technical leadership with a background in leading engineering teams
- You solve engineering problems that scale, rigorously focused on reliability, security, and stability of platforms used across a large engineering team
- You have developed a technical roadmap and have good project management skills
- You are a strong performer with a notable track record in high-growth environments; you thrive in a high exposure role and are a natural problem solver
- You possess the proven know-how to lead/scale a team, balance multiple high priority initiatives, and define the strategic direction of a business unit
- You are a proven collaborator and peer leader
- You are action oriented and have a strong sense of practicality and effectiveness
- You have excellent communication and relationship-building skills
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do whats in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itselfwe continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Weve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a persons merit, business needs, and role requirements.