Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchios New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $472 million from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek, Fidelity, and Almanac
About The Role:
This is an opportunity to join a growing team of electrical, mechanical, and software engineers and make a substantial impact at Bowery. Were looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isnt afraid of uncertainty. Hardware engineering at Bowery involves developing electronics solutions that power a modern farm and provide tools for agricultural R&D. This involves unique industrial control systems, environmental sensor technology, data collection, computer vision systems, and farm automation. Youll be involved with idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of mechanical solutions for our Bowery IoT fleet. Our current hardware technologies are facilitated by the industrial version of the Raspberry Pi, Altium Designer (ECAD), SolidWorks (MCAD), the Nerves IoT platform, and AWS integration. We currently have thousands of Bowery-designed IoT devices deployed on-premise in our farms running on our in-house BoweryOS system.
What You'll Do:
- Create innovative IoT solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside electrical engineers, data scientists, software engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- Design the mechanical elements of our IoT and sensor products and carry them through the entire product lifecycle.
- Support manufacturing of our BoweryOS IoT solutions for deployment in new Bowery farms.
- Contribute to innovative R&D projects that advance our understanding of plant health and the state of Bowerys modern farming technology platform and capabilities.
- Alongside the BoweryOS and other cross-functional partnerships, identify opportunities to optimize our process, our work, and propose solutions to unique challenges.
Who You Are:
- You are an experienced mechanical engineer who is comfortable designing products for embedded IoT devices and integrated sensors
- You are energized by new challenges and working in emerging spaces
- You have built products that have scaled and been manufactured in large quantities
- You have worked with numerous manufacturing materials and techniques including injection molding, water jet cutting, vacuum forming, die cutting, and/or metal forming
- You are familiar with NEMA ratings, IP ratings, and know how to design for harsh environments
- You have experienced several product life cycles from start to finish
- You are familiar with the tools and methods of rapid prototyping
- You are proficient in 2D and 3D CAD (SolidWorks preferred)
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
The largest vertical farming company in the U.S., Bowerys produce is available in almost 800 grocery stores and via e-commerce platforms serving the Tri-state and Mid-Atlantic region, including Amazon Fresh, Albertsons, Giant Food, Hungryroot, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers. Based in New York City, Bowery has raised more than $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek and GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, and Dara Khosrowshahi, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, Jos Andres, and David Barber of Blue Hill.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.