As the worlds leading provider of cloud-based software and technology solutions delivered by managed service providers (MSPs), Datto believes there is no limit to what small and medium businesses can achieve with the right technology. Datto offers Unified Continuity, Networking, and Business Management solutions and has created a one-of-a-kind ecosystem of MSP partners. These partners provide Datto solutions to over one million businesses across the globe. Since its founding in 2007, Datto continues to win awards each year for its rapid growth, product excellence, superior technical support, and for fostering an outstanding workplace. With headquarters in Norwalk, Connecticut, Datto has global offices in the United Kingdom, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Canada, Australia, China, and Singapore. Learn more at datto.com.
Datto is seeking a systems software engineering professional to lead security initiatives within Infrastructure Engineering. This person is a technical leader who will build and manage a security focused Infrastructure team. This team will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and the hands-on execution of initiatives that improve the security posture of Dattos infrastructure. This position will require individual contribution to ensure the teams success. To fulfill the job requirements, establishing and maintaining relationships between other departments is a must, including Information Security, Software Engineering, and Legal.
An ideal candidate for this role is exceptional in either security or systems administration and is passionate in the other category. Prior experience as a security focused systems administrator is not required, but the candidate must have some past experience demonstrating capability in this domain. The candidate is a technical leader who either has a background in management or is excited by the challenge. This person must have strong communication and project management skills.
The leader of this team will have access to key leadership as an extension of the Information Security team, work on a wide variety of interesting technical problems, operate at scale in an environment with over an exabyte of data, have opportunities to green field solutions, and operate with both autonomy and empowerment from senior leadership.
A Look Inside the Job:
- Plan and lead Infrastructure Engineering security initiatives.
- Hire and manage a security focused team within Infrastructure Engineering.
- Directly contribute technical changes to Dattos infrastructure.
- Work with stakeholders to define the acceptance criteria of high level security objectives.
- Provide security centric guidance during design and maintenance.
- Iterate on security guidelines, raising expectations for new and existing infrastructure.
- Facilitate communication between Infrastructure Engineering and Security.
- Build and operate key security related infrastructure.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Limited off-hours support is required.
- Limited travel may be required.
- Prior experience as either a systems administrator or security engineer.
- Working understanding of modern security vulnerabilities and best practices.
- Experience scripting and automating workflows (e.g., BASH, Python, Perl).
- Worked in a large server environment (1000+ servers).
- Leadership experience with a background in management or an interest in managing.
- Foundational understanding of networking.
- Experience troubleshooting complex systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with a passion for documentation.
- Excellent project management skills with the capability to manage concurrent initiatives.
- Works effectively under pressure in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong work ethic and an insatiable desire to learn.
- Thrives in a team based environment leaving ego at the door.
Other Relevant Experience:
- On-prem and/or hybrid clouds
- Infrastructure as Code tools (e.g., terraform, cloudformation)
- Host-based security controls (e.g., IPTables, mod_security, HIDS, FIM)
- Configuration management tools (e.g., puppet, salt, ansible, chef)
- Virtualization technologies (e.g., KVM, OpenStack, oVirt)
- Container Orchestration systems (e.g., kubernetes, OpenShift, nomad)
- Centralized logging (e.g., ELK stack, splunk)
- Secret stores (e.g., HashiCorp Vault)
- CI/CD systems (e.g., Gitlab CI, GitHub Actions, CircleCI, Jenkins)
- At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
Summary of benefits not showing up? View a summary here: Datto Benefits
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data following our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: We are looking only for candidates willing to join us directly as W2 employees (No 3rd party candidates)