Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchios New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $472 million from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek, Fidelity, and Almanac
About The Role:
Data Science at Bowery means building production-facing data products which automate the agricultural and operational functions in our network of indoor vertical farms. The Data & AI function at Bowery is central to the vision of the company as well as its day-to-day operation. Youll work with our team of data scientists and analysts as well as agricultural scientists and supply chain managers who bring the domain expertise to our data-driven solutions.
What You'll Do:
- Youll create innovative quantitative solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- Youll analyze historical data related to crop growth and environmental characteristics to forecast yields for future harvests and uncover insights about ways conditions can be optimized.
- Youll use the key drivers of Bowery's business and agricultural science to design experimental frameworks to ensure data integrity and empower us to more easily analyze and act upon data from new trials.
- Youll optimize work and production schedules to achieve the highest utilization of time and space in the farm.
- Youll help shape the way our data science team does work - researching and making key decisions about what we build, how we build it, and which tools are best for solving our problems.
- Youll work alongside software engineers to implement data processing and visualization systems that make data readily available and simplify how insights are communicated.
- You wont target ads, optimize signup funnels, or recommend anything for anyone to click on.
What You'll Have:
- You have a strong mathematical background in probability, statistics, and optimization algorithms.
- You are fluent in Python and enjoy building software the team can depend on.
- You are proficient with SQL and can work full stack to integrate solutions with our data ecosystem.
- You have a deep understanding of and have applied various machine learning techniques for solving real-world problems.
- You are energized by translating business, operations, and agricultural questions into data science problems, solving those problems, and interpreting the output back into clear outcomes.
- You are confident in taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
Who You Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
The largest vertical farming company in the U.S., Bowerys produce is available in almost 800 grocery stores and via e-commerce platforms serving the Tri-state and Mid-Atlantic region, including Amazon Fresh, Albertsons, Giant Food, Hungryroot, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers. Based in New York City, Bowery has raised more than $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek and GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, and Dara Khosrowshahi, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, Jos Andres, and David Barber of Blue Hill.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.