Senior Data Engineer
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating experiences that our customers will love.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will join a growing Data & Analytics organization that collaborates with decision-makers across the organization to catalyze business growth by providing insightful and actionable analysis, insights and data products. The D&A team is hands-on with a wide variety of datasets, including user data, product behavior data, financial/payment data, upper-funnel marketing data, trust and safety data, and operational/infrastructure data.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Develop and implement scalable processes for ingesting, transforming, connecting, storing and delivering data sources of varying levels of complexity and scale
- Focus on production status and data quality of the data environment and data products being delivered to the business, and effectively communicate to internal user base regarding production status
- Work closely with product engineering teams to integrate data products into customer-facing experience
- Interface closely with data infrastructure, engineering and technical operations teams to ensure reliability and scalability of the data environment and availability of data product services
- Pioneer initiatives around data quality, integrity, security and governance
- Work closely with other members of the Data & Analytics team, including Analytics and Data Science to understand evolving needs as more complex data models are introduced for reporting and data science
What We'll Expect from You:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, or other quantitative field; Masters or PhD strongly preferred
- Significant experience in custom ETL design, implementation and maintenance, including serving machine learning models in production for multiple high-growth companies, preferably those with technical products
- Track record of developing and evolving complex data environments and intelligence platforms for business users
- Demonstrable ability to relate high-level business requirements to technical ETL and data infrastructure needs, including underlying data models and scripts
- History of proactively identifying forward-looking data engineering strategies, utilizing cutting-edge technologies, and implementing at scale
- Hands-on experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling
- Understanding of statistical modeling, machine learning and data mining concepts
- Demonstrable critical thinking and analytical skills, including the ability and confidence to make conclusions and recommendations from data
- Experience interacting with key stakeholders in different fields, interpreting challenges and opportunities into actionable engineering strategies
- Experience with Big Data/distributed frameworks such as Spark, Kubernetes, Hadoop, Hive, Presto,
- Experience with job schedulers; Airflow, Luigi, Azkaban, etc.
- Experience with continuous integration and automation tools and processes
- Advanced SQL and relational database knowledge (MySQL, PostgreSQL) in addition to warehousing and dimension modeling
- Scripting in Python required, experience with Scala/Go a plus
- Programming against APIs required
- Experience with Snowflake and/or Looker a plus
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here and we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in HQ.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Data & Analytics
Want to learn more about our Data & Analtyics team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!