Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is seeking an experienced Professional Services Leader with a background in Life Sciences and Enterprise SaaS. As a Regional Leader in PS, you will manage a distributed team of Implementation Managers and Consultants and have the responsibility for a large portfolio of customers from small Biotech startups, to some of the most innovative BioPharmas in the world.
You must be a hands on leader who enjoys working closely with their teams and with their customers to drive successful implementations. You must be able to think and act strategically as well as get into the details of our projects, and our product. You will develop an understanding of Benchlings solutions, and leverage your experience to guide our teams through implementations, scope new and follow on projects, and to build processes that scale.
To be successful in this role, you must be comfortable with Life Sciences R&D processes and scientific concepts, and be able to speak confidently and build relationships with Scientific and IT leaders at leading Pharma and Biotech organizations. You must have experience leading large PS teams in a high growth enterprise SaaS environment running 40-50+ implementations simultaneously. And you must be a proven leader who can drive a PS business from hiring and staffing, to managing project and practice financials, to managing and mentoring your team, to leading customer governance and negotiations.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Build, lead and manage a rapidly growing, high caliber, regional team of 20+ implementation consultants. Manage team members directly as well as through first line PS team leads.
- Direct the activities of the team through ongoing oversight of active implementations, ensuring project teams deliver on time, within budgets, with high quality outcomes.
- Actively manage practice financials including team utilization, budget vs actual hours and project margins.
- Ensure teams follow best practice implementation processes, and identify opportunities to improve our rollout methodologies and tools.
- Develop relationships at senior levels in our customers organizations including with executive sponsors, key business and IT stakeholders, and project team leads.
- Act as the escalation point for project issues, work with other teams throughout Benchling to develop solutions to problems, drive customer alignment, and be accountable for project success.
- Work with the Global Sales and Customer Experience leadership teams on new business opportunities.
- BA/BS or M.Sc. in Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or similar life science field with at least 2 years of experience in a lab or research setting. You must be able to quickly understand complicated scientific concepts and how they apply to the Benchling applications.
- Proven experience working with Life Sciences companies with an understanding of R&D processes and scientific concepts. Must be able to confidently interface and build trust with Director, VP and C-Level Scientific & Research IT leaders in leading Biotech and Pharma companies from day 1 on the job.
- 10+ years client facing SaaS software implementation and/or consulting experience, with demonstrated success managing a large book of 40-50+ concurrent projects of various sizes, from packaged implementations for small startups, to enterprise scale deployments.
- Demonstrated experience building and managing teams of at least 15 people (ideally more) including managing other managers. Must be able to recruit, hire, lead and grow a high-functioning Professional Services team.
- Deep expertise in project and program management for enterprise software including internal and external team management, scope & budget control, program governance, executive reporting, and project financials.
- Experience leading services sales activities, including proposal generation, SOW creation, selling PS, Change Orders, and client negotiations.
- Independent, adaptable, and can thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Excellent communication skills in verbal, written and presentation formats.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Quarterly mental health days
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.