Who are we?
At Intersection, we are at the forefront of the smart cities revolution. Our mission is to improve daily life in cities and public spaces, with products that bridge the digital and physical worlds by delivering connectivity, information and content to enrich our everyday journeys and elevate the urban experience.
We pair our human-centered methodology with groundbreaking technology to design, develop, deliver, and maintain unique products and experiences in public space that deliver value to advertisers, cities, and consumers. Whether partnering with urban transit systems to revolutionize commuting and travel, with cities to transform how they connect with residents and visitors, or private developers to craft unforgettable experiences in neighborhoods and districts, our solutions are scalable platforms on which our clients can build the future.
Intersection is backed by Alphabet through its urban technology company Sidewalk Labs.
What is the role?
We are looking for a Project Engineer with a discipline in Structural Engineering, some experience in Mechanical engineering a plus. This role requires delivering detailed analytical concepts and then backing up those concepts with design drawing and written justification. The successful candidate for this position will be able to take a project from the conceptual stage of gathering information through to completion, taking into account budgeting, scheduling, and operational considerations while managing third parties for projects nationally.
For a video of some of our digital product you will oversee, click on this link - https://vimeo.com/287712917
In your first 30 days, you will:
- Develop CAD project drawings and review drawing sets from partners/vendors for accuracy
- Perform design reviews for existing products and how each structural solution is deployed across different market and environment
- Deliver documentation offering critical analysis and suggestions for standardization and modularization of different product solutions
- Review the existing design process and identify functional gaps within the engineering workstream
- Develop process documentation mapping out existing design workflow and Identify process deficiencies and develop solutions to improve those deficiencies
- Participate in client meetings, facilitating solutions to design issues and challenges and providing status updates
- Manage ongoing communication and coordination with PE vendors, fabricators, and suppliers
In your first 60 days, you will:
- Conduct a review of the existing architectural, mechanical and structural as-built drawings;
- Develop a roadmap for short and long term structural solutions
- Collaborate with Project Managers to develop an accurate accounting of all engineering timeline required for various types of project deliverables
- Design standardized structural systems offering different mounting solutions for various physical environments
- Assess desktop and field structures for safety, quality and adherence to municipal and governmental regulationsInterface and manage engineering vendors from coast to coast and conduct RFP to source new structural vendors
- Working directly with state, city, transit partners engineering team to obtain necessary permits
In your first year, you will:
- Develop a standardized scope of work for each project scenario that includes budgetary numbers, timing interval, design drawings, BOM, and installation documentation
- Designing and implementing cost-effective mounting solution modifications to help improve safety, reliability, and scalability
- Performs design work for new construction, retrofit, and improvement projects in public space/facilities such as city streets, public transit stations, and airports.
- Interprets and adapts traditional methods and approaches in developing design calculations, layouts, drawings, and specifications that support project objectives and local standards.
- Develops cost estimates and time schedules, Reviews and analyzes preliminary and final designs, plans and specifications for technical efficiency and adequacy.
- Prepares necessary correspondence, technical reports, contract documents, fact sheets and status reports and prepares final construction drawings suitable for obtaining qualified bids from Contractors.
- Prepares Engineer Statements of Work, serves as a technical representative for negotiation and/or administration of contracts.
- Responsible for selected construction activities such as surveys, inspections, quality control and submittal reviews beyond the expertise of construction managers.
- Experience in working on RFP on both ends of the spectrum (vendor and client) and is comfortable of making educated assumptions while limiting exposure to substantial risk
- Be involved in Bidding, Planning, Analysis, Design, Design and Retrofit of Existing Assets; Evaluation of Existing Structures and Load Ratings; Plan Development, Preparation of Specifications, Review of Construction Phase Submittals and Shop Drawings, Preparation of Technical Reports, and Participation in Field Work including Construction and Structural Integrity Inspection.
You are great for this role, because you:
- Have a BS degree in Civil Engineering with a focus in structural engineering
- Have a minimum of 6-8 years demonstrated experience in structural design working alongside cross-functional teams that deploy solutions in public space
- Have strong communication skills (written, verbal and stakeholders management)
- Have strong knowledge of CAD/CAM software and drafting procedures. You are proficient in AutoCAD 2014 or later, and use AutoCAD to create practical and accurate engineering packages for concept and statement of work requirements for project execution.
- Hold a New York State Professional Engineers license, or professional engineers license in another state with the ability to obtain a New York State Professional Engineers license
- Have familiarity with professional engineering best practices and demonstrate Design-Build experience
- Have the ability to efficiently use structural analysis software such as MIDAS, Larsa, SAP 2000, RISA 3D, or equal
- Working knowledge of Design Review, Project Mobilization, Quality Compliance, QA, Safety, Project Controls, and Capture Management.
- Understand and analyze static and dynamic loads including wind, snow, seismic activity, temperature or traffic, and how these loads affect structural components and products
- Have the ability to work independently with minimum supervision as a lead engineer on major projects
- Have ability to excel in a fast-paced environment and capable of managing competing priorities
- Have keen multitasking ability (prioritize, organize, and schedule work) and problem-solver (identify, analyze, research, evaluate and resolve)
- Have prior experience managing/ mentoring team members
At Intersection we celebrate every voice that makes us unique and every perspective that makes us grow. Its our shared responsibility to create an equitable environment where every employee contributes to the culture of the company. Our products and offerings impact cities across the world and its our goal to represent the diversity and differences that make cities special. We will be relentless in that pursuit, because together we are better. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.