Office Tour Photos
More than someone who checks every box, were looking for people who are excited to work and grow at Datto. If that's you we hope you apply for the role!
You enjoy teamwork
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You would rather create the future than wait for it.
Youre customer-focused and take pride in your work.
You put extra attention into details with all you do. You care about the work you provide to customers and how it reflects on yourself and Datto. When you find or see something wrong, you attempt to resolve it. You look for opportunities to not only better yourself, but others around you. You aim to be the best that you can be and always do the right thing.
What Youll Do
The Principal Software Engineer will take a lead role in modernizing the Datto Portal platform to take advantage of containers and container orchestration capabilities. This will require breaking out components of the platform into smaller self-contained services defined by API contracts allowing development and testing to act on these components independently. Youll use prior skills and expertise with Kubernetes and Docker (or equivalent technologies) to help drive and steer this critical endeavor. At Datto, a Principal Engineer may not have direct reports but youre a leader in the engineering organization taking responsibility for the short and long-term success of critical and strategic projects.
Your job function and responsibilities include:
- Participate as a proactive contributor and subject matter expert
- Architect, design, develop and contribute individually while also assisting with the efforts of the team as a whole
- Drive results through regular leadership and mentoring others
- Champion best practices, high quality code, and proper test coverage. We ship code frequently and fast, but stability and reliability will always remain the top priority.
- Partner and collaborate closely with Datto Infrastructure Engineering to ensure the appropriate capabilities are available to run a market leading next generation service
- Participate and collaborate cross functionally with groups such as product management, sales, customer success, support, and finance incorporating feedback from these stakeholders back into the product/service.
- Scale the SaaS Protection platform and reduce human intervention as needed by automating any repetitive operational activities and measuring normal operation of the platform
- Participate in a rotational on-call program and enhance troubleshooting techniques and utilities to ensure quick resolution to service impacting issues
- Be a positive role model that others want to follow and be inspired by
- Identify gaps in processes and tasks. Be an advocate of new ideas to drive continuous improvement.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a closely related concentration
- Expertise in software development, automation, infrastructure as code, and data-driven analysis
- Proven track record and hands-on expertise developing software in object-oriented or functional programming languages such as Java, C++, Scala, or Go.
- Experience with building highly available services, possessing knowledge of common service-oriented design patterns, and service-to-service communication protocols
- Intimate knowledge of Containers/Docker, Kubernetes, and microservice architectures
- Deep understanding of how to auto-scale applications
- Knowledge of other Kubernetes and container management platforms such as OpenShift, Google Anthos, Rancher, or public cloud Kubernetes management (e.g. AWS ECS).
- Track record of investing in and developing engineering talent to be future technical leaders
- Familiar with standard tools and platforms that enable continuous delivery such as GitLab, Jenkins, Artifactory, Jira, etc.
- Working knowledge of virtualized hardware and infrastructure such as vSphere, KVM, OpenStack, etc.
- Strong root cause analysis and troubleshooting competency
- Strong tendency to automate and monitor everything
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Ability to operate in a fast paced environment
- Self-motivated & willing to learn
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Note: We are looking only for candidates willing to join us directly as W2 employees (No 3rd party candidates)
At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health-care benefits
- Free lunch every Friday
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Free food, drinks, and fresh organic fruit
- Fitness reimbursement
- Charity match program
- Education reimbursement
- And more!
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data following our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.
More Jobs From