Aetna Digital aims to transform health and wellness via products that enable consumer engagement and a best-in-class experience. Aetna is currently taking on a major initiative to redesign and rebuild many of its customer facing digital assets. This effort will include a completely new approach to developing software within Aetna, using the latest design approaches, technologies, and processes.
We are looking for a Digital Accessibility Engineering Manager with experience working in a fast-paced, startup like environment. As a leader on the Digital Accessibility Engineering Team, you will work with the Sr. Director to lead a team supporting an Aetna Digital Product to implement our A11y Engineering Program. Youll partner closely with Product, Engineering stakeholders across the organization to help make our digital assets accessible and more inclusive by driving A11y into a comprehensive shift left model. You will be an A11y champion across many teams, and will also work with Engineering Managers, Tech Leads and leadership to mature the offering and ensure it exceeds the expectations of all customers and users.
- Responsible for ensuring Aetna Digital products track to A11y Program standards, processes and practices.
- Responsible for promoting, implementing and tracking use of A11y Program into teams workflows across Web, iOS and Android platforms.
- Collaborate with engineers to teach A11y front-end best practices through documentation, training and consulting.
- Ensure internal Product stakeholders A11y needs /expectations are met and promote transparency by helping communicate through SAFe/SCRUM practice.
- Assist with test plan iterations and management of improvements to the A11y Engineering test process flow.
- Partner with Accessibility Design team to build A11y into Product Design by helping understand how users experience products using Assistive Technology, participating in and contributing in Accessible Design Decisions and identifying how design intent affects A11y AC (Acceptance Criteria).
- Partner with Engineering teams during development ensuring A11y AC is being met by ensuring feature functionality has A11y AC written / available, helping engineers understand the A11y AC, answering technical how-to questions for A11y in Web, IOS & Android development and helping engineers test and validate A11y AC.
- Analyze validation test results looking for training opportunities, engineering methods needing correction, components needing a11y refinements and processes lacking appropriate a11y support.
- Attend relevant stand-ups and status meetings.
- Support, Manage & Track 3rd-Party A11y Audits from audit kickoff to reviewing, verifying audit findings all the way to a11y finding remediation.
- 10 Years management experience
- 10 Years accessibility experience
- Expert ability to interpret and advise on accessibility standards, principles, techniques and best practices (including WCAG 2.1, Revised Sec 508, WAI-ARIA, ATAG )
- Expert knowledge of how applicable WCAG 2.1 success criteria map to development requirements for Web, iOS and Android applications.
- Expert knowledge of open source a11y tools and rulesets (e.g. axe-core)
- Ability to think outside of the box and be innovative when it comes to scaling solutions to complex A11y problems.
- Passion for building and helping others build accessible UIs
- Commitment to meeting high expectations of end users
- Strong knowledge of assistive technologies (JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver)
- Experience with Agile/Scrum practices.
- Experience leading large cross functional project management initiatives.
- Advanced communication/presentation skills needed to represent your team with stakeholders and management.
- Strong understanding of supporting products in a SAFe environment specifically how current/future work is scheduled to come through planning, design, engineering and 3rd-party validation efforts
- Knowledge of Rally, Teams, Confluence and other cooperation tools
- Ability to train and coach colleagues on various A11y topics
- Ability to promote and share the importance of A11y
- Understanding the overlap between user experience and A11y
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Percent of Travel Required
10 - 25%
At Aetna, a CVS Health company, we are joined in a common purpose: helping people on their path to better health. We are working to transform health care through innovations that make quality care more accessible, easier to use, less expensive and patient-focused. Working together and organizing around the individual, we are pioneering a new approach to total health that puts people at the heart.
We are committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace. CVS Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring or promotion based on race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, age, disability or protected veteran status. We proudly support and encourage people with military experience (active, veterans, reservists and National Guard) as well as military spouses to apply for CVS Health job opportunities.