Twitter serves the public conversation by encouraging people all over the world to connect, learn, debate, and solve problems together. We believe conversation can change the world, and that’s why Tweeps (that’s what we call Twitter employees) come to work every day.
Twitter Next is a global team of marketers, creatives, technologists, program managers, developers, and data scientists – all dedicated to dreaming up and building ideas for brands that earn attention.
“The Lab” is an embedded team within Twitter Next that specifically combines design, data science, and technology that experiment to push the limits of what’s possible on Twitter for our most ambitious brand and agency partners.
Our team’s collective purpose is to help brands activate ideas so human-centric they become “worth talking about.” It’s an ambitious goal that inspires us to constantly challenge ourselves to be bold. Conversation is Twitter’s fundamental medium, and we’re here to help brands not just be part of it – but to spark and drive it.
Who You Are
A Data Scientist with an elite level of technical expertise – and a track record of infusing the resulting data and insights into the creative process. You’re passionate about how data can uncover fundamental or unexpected context that informs and inspires creative marketing, business strategy, and product development.
You’re passionate about the creative craft, and driven by a fundamental belief that data can play an outsized role in unlocking creativity and bettering the way brands and consumers communicate.
You love to extrapolate and substantiate observations. You’re endlessly curious about what makes people tick, and finding new ways to use advanced technical data-mining and statistical methodologies to understand and evaluate behaviors that reveal untapped opportunity.
You’re obsessed equally with the pursuit of information, and framing that information into simple human insight and stories for technical and non-technical audiences.
You’re fascinated by conversation, language, and the opportunity to pioneer new ways to use conversation data to reveal bigger truths about how we interact with one another.
You’re a builder, tinkerer, and experimenter. You find joy in using your technical skills to explore new techniques, technologies, and API’s to build stuff.
What You’ll Do
The Insights Scientist on this team will be responsible for using internal and external data sources to analyze and understand behavioral patterns on and off Twitter, develop unique and innovative ways of measuring the value of brand activations, build and maintain tools that make data more accessible to non-technical collaborators, and help inform our R&D prioritization and approach. You’ll partner with Strategists, Creatives, and Technologists to utilize your analysis and insight to inform, pitch, and execute Twitter ideas worth talking about on behalf of the world’s most iconic brands.
You’ll be responsible for defining the long term vision for Twitter Next Lab’s Insights Science function including the opportunity to set team priorities and objectives, resource needs, and recruit and build a team around you.
Given the leadership responsibilities of this role and the close cross-functional collaborators, excellent communication and stakeholder management skills will be critical for long-term success.
Because the Insights Science team focuses on a wide range of project types, broad curiosity and problem-solving skills are critical to success.
- Utilize applied statistics and quantitative reasoning to help us understand how users interact with brand and cultural content on Twitter
- Extract usage and behavioral data from both internal and external data sources
- Develop expertise with internal and external 3rd party tools serving as a subject matter expert to consult and train other team members on using tools and analyzing data to create insight
- Conduct analyses to learn from our vast amount of data to both make it more accessible to Strategists and Creatives as well as to surface reporting and insights
- Apply advanced statistical techniques to model user behavior, identify causal impact and attribution, and build and benchmark metrics
- Measure the effectiveness of our team’s custom products and solutions using experimentation frameworks
- Write complex data flows using SQL, Python, R, Spark, and/or Scalding
- Use data visualization tools to share ongoing insights, (e.g, Tableau, Zeppelin)
- Adopt a client-responsive, customer service mindset; this is a role that blends analytical acumen with interpersonal skill
- Partner with other teams at Twitter to uncover new ways to generate creative insight
- Translate insights and research into recommended areas for product exploration
- Document analytical methodologies, best practices, and processes for repeated use and contribute to company knowledge sharing efforts
- Present and visualize basic data findings for communicating to brand advertisers, internal business leaders, and cross-functional product teams
- Minimum 5+ years of experience with data extraction and analysis at an agency, brand, or technology platform
- Mandatory experience in partnering with creative, strategy, or non-technical teams as part of the creative marketing development process
- Hands-on experience utilizing SQL and proprietary data extraction and analysis tools
- Strong written and visual communication skills for documenting and sharing methodologies and processes for wider utilization
- Experience translating verbal or written business problems into data solutions
- Familiarity with experiment design and testing at scale
- Ability to connect business hypotheses and real world problems to data insights
- Bachelor's degree
- Masters preferred in statistics, econometrics, computer science, or related field, or equivalent experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.