Head of Engineering
At Kensho, we hire talented people and give them the autonomy and support needed to build amazing technology and products. To do this, we look for people who insist on a bias towards action to minimize unhelpful hierarchy and process. We collaborate using our teammates' diverse perspectives to solve hard problems. Our communication with one another is open, honest and efficient. We dedicate time and resources to explore new ideas and, as a result, we produce technology that is scalable, robust, and useful.
As the Head of Engineering in our NYC office, reporting to our CTO, you are a motivating and inspiring mentor and technologist, with a good sense of humor, who is eager to cultivate the talent on your team. Building a collaborative culture, creating a local brand and growing your team are important to you. You thrive on coaching and mentoring junior staff and people look to you for guidance and leadership. This is a unique opportunity for a leader who is looking for an exciting and rewarding challenge in a fast-paced company with a startup heritage and mindset.
What You'll Do:
- Directly manage a team of 10 software engineers, focusing on data and platform infrastructure to support machine learning applications across a variety of domains.
- Serve as the senior engineer and leader for the NY office with broad mentoring and management responsibilities.
- Work to build a strong, collaborative Kensho culture across all teams in the NYC office.
- Guide strategy and help architect Kenshos data pipelines and back end infrastructure.
- Collaborate with other engineering heads in Cambridge and DC to build a unified technical infrastructure across all of Kensho.
- Work with the CEO and business leaders to ensure that team projects are in line with company business priorities.
- Meet frequently with clients and consumers to identify target projects for the team to work on, and ensure those projects are completed to spec.
- Help brand Kensho as an employer of choice in the NYC tech community.
- Determine the future staffing plan for the NYC office.
What We Look For:
- Strong leadership skills with a minimum of 5 years of industry experience.
- Experience scoping and delivering large scale projects to completion.
- Prior experience operating autonomously as an engineering leader.
- Technical experience building and maintaining production backend infrastructure.
- Proven experience managing a team of junior engineers (a plus).
- Prior experience leading technical initiatives in a large company, start-up enthusiasm with political and bureaucratic skills.
Technologies We Use:
- Python, Kubernetes, Docker, Kafka, RabbitMQ, Postgres, Redis, OrientDB, Accumulo, Mongo, Elasticsearch, AWS, microservices architecture
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance with 100% premium covered.
- Unlimited vacation days.
- Paid Parental Leave.
- 401(k) plan with 6% employer match.
- Free snacks and drinks.
- Membership and easy access to Equinox gym near One World Trade Center.
- Citibike (bike sharing program) membership.
- Phenomenal view of NYC from the 76th floor of One World Trade Center.
All qualifiedapplicantswill receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.