Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. Bowery builds smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture.
About the Role:
Bowery Farming is seeking a dynamic and experienced Software Engineering Manager who will lead & develop a team of software engineers at all levels. Reporting to the VP of Software, youll join Bowery Farming at a critical point in our growth trajectory. You will be responsible for leading a team of talented software engineers who are a critical component to the success of how our high-tech indoor vertical farms operate. Software Engineering at Bowery involves developing software systems that power a modern farm. This includes building out work management systems, data collection, visualization, control systems, and farm automation. Youll be part of idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of new software components of all aspects of our farms. The software stack at Bowery consists of a few, focused Elixir services running in AWS, Phoenix +Vue.js / React on the front-end, and Elixir (Nerves) running on thousands of in-house built devices on-premise in our farms. We're utilizing an event-driven architecture, RPC, and Channels/WebSockets to pass data throughout our services and real-time UI's.
What Youll Do:
- Lead and grow a diverse team of software engineers who create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming.
- Develop & inspire a team of engineers who will build responsive, mobile-first web applications to support the demands of farm operations and agricultural science teams.
- Work with Data & AI, Product, Hardware, Agricultural Scientists & Farm Operations teams to ensure we are building and delivering the best automated solutions for Bowery.
- Develop systems to collect, process, and visualize data related to plant health and growing environment characteristics.
- Lead in scaling systems to handle more farms, more sensors, more crops, and more operators.
Who You Are:
- You have experience leading & mentoring a team who can develop and scale production web applications using Phoenix, Rails, Node, or similar backend MVC frameworks.
- You are a strategic thinker, both technically and for Bowery.
- You have strong people management, coaching, developing, mentoring skills.
- You have experience & focus on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion while hiring and retaining staff.
- You love to collaborate with both internal and external teams for building better solutions.
- You have experience building excellent engineering processes that adapt to scale.
- You have experience working in a startup/high sense of urgency, ambiguous environment & have strong decision-making skills.
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. Bowery has raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, Jos Andrs and David Barber of Blue Hill. For more information on Bowery and its products, please visit www.BoweryFarming.comPress kit: https://boweryfarming.com/press/