At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowerys purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce thats defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system thats focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, were farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About The Role:
This is an opportunity to join a small, growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. Were looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isnt afraid of uncertainty.
Data analysis at Bowery means building data pipelines, crafting data visualizations, and helping a wide range of teams interpret reams of data generated by the Techiest Farm in the World. The data function at Bowery is central to the vision of the company as well as its day to day operation. Youll be part of the Data & AI team which is responsible for everything from collecting data, to reporting facts, investigative analysis, building machine learning and computer vision models.
What You'll Do:
- Develop SQL to transform the raw data produced by the farm into a comprehensive data warehouse as the authoritative source for all facts about the business.
- Build automated reporting which effectively draws attention to important information and helps decision makers understand our priorities.
- Partner with other functional areas to develop metrics, understand analytical needs, and interpret results about our crops and our business.
- Collaborate on the design and creation of data tools and decision frameworks used by our farm operators, agricultural scientists, and sales team to drive positive change.
- Build and use statistical and algorithmic models to proactively surface and predict relationships in data.
- Contribute to Bowerys data-driven culture, and influence best practices.
What You'll Have:
- You are fluent in SQL, have opinions about a well-designed database, and know how to deal with data too big to analyze in-memory.
- You are comfortable working in a highly technical team: contributing through version control, peer-reviewing code, and managing processes in production.
- You are comfortable being the technical resource for non-technical teams: translating business needs to technical requirements, communicating quantitative observations to make the teams around us more effective and well-informed.
- Youve got a natural attention to detail and drive for order that yields accuracy and reliability in the data you work with.
- You can own the critical trust-based relationship with our internal stakeholders.
- You have experience in and a passion for visualizing data to tell clear stories and support decision making.
- You have some familiarity with data science languages like R or python, and enjoy learning more.
- Youre confident in taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
Bowery's headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and Jos Andres.