The Business Development Manager, Public Safety will be a key part of the goTenna Public Sector Business Development and Sales team that oversees the acquisition of new business in the assigned markets and geographic locations. The successful candidate for this position will be:
- A “hunter” with a strong work ethic.
- An individual with a passion for our product and the customer’s business space.
- Someone who loves spending time in the field in order to solve customer problems.
- Relationship focused.
- A strategic thinker and planner.
- Strong hardware and SaaS sales experience in Public Safety and government sales.
goTenna is a rapidly growing company with an exciting new professional communications product line. The goTenna Pro product suite enables team-level situational awareness and communications without the need for cellular network or other infrastructure at a highly-differentiated and attractive cost and SWaP. The public sector business development team focuses on the products and services delivered to Defense, Federal, Public Safety Agencies, Integrators, and select Channel Partners.
In this position, you will manage and grow year-over-year (and quarter-over-quarter) sales in your target markets. You’ll be responsible for developing strong relationships at customer accounts and developing a partnership approach to supporting them. You should be naturally committed to exceeding customer expectations, have exceedingly strong organizational skills, and be experienced at establishing and prioritizing opportunities in the sales funnel and moving them through to successful close.
This role, reporting to the Public Safety BD Director, will be instrumental as our organization strategically evolves into a mature, best-in-class go-to-market organization able to support products and services for a variety of public sector organizations. This is a remote position; visits to goTenna’s New York City headquarters will occur on occasion, though the majority of the travel associated with this role will involve customer visits, trade shows, conferences, and other BD-related events throughout the country.
Primary Responsibilities and Requirements
- Grow sales and win new business. Maintain existing business.
- Actively create, manage, and grow customers and opportunities within the assigned markets and geographic locations. Establish new business capture strategies and plans through all phases of the sales cycle to achieve short and long-term growth targets.
- Penetrate target markets at all levels and develop strong relationships for opportunities in a technical sales arena. Externally manage opportunities and build strong relationships within multiple customer organizations and with our Channel Partners to successfully capture target business.
- Work cross-functionally with other departments such as Product Management, Customer Experience, Marketing, Finance, and Operations to ensure consistent messaging and meet deadlines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required to communicate our compelling value proposition with your customers, report on all meetings, and manage new action items through to completion.
- Monitor competitive and complementary products’ sales and marketing activities and report market trends routinely.
- Maintain Salesforce continuously up-to-date and accurate to ensure the integrity of our cross-functional business intelligence.
- Willingness and ability to travel as required, up to 75% or more during certain periods.
- Remain engaged on booked programs to ensure program issues with the customer are smoothly addressed and learnings applied moving forward.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards at all times.
- The ability to lift 25-pound boxes to a height of 5-6 feet and load them into overhead airline storage. (This is related to all the customer visits, trade shows, and other industry events which this role will staff.)
- Frequently performs equipment demonstrations outdoors in varying weather conditions.
Required qualifications & skills
- 5+ years of experience in complex sales in the public safety market.
- 3+ years of experience with the government purchasing process
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Business.
- Ability to learn technical concepts and communicate it effectively to others.
- The ability to execute sales plans on a nationwide basis.
- Represent goTenna at trade shows, events, and conferences.
- Demonstrated success in sales based on a record of accomplishments — preferably in communications, software-as-a-service (SaaS), or personal equipment for law enforcement, public safety, first responders, and/or other relevant tactical markets.
- Proven year-over-year track record of success in sales.
- Have a working knowledge of the principles of Strategic Selling, Federal / State / Local government acquisition processes, and Account Management.
- Demonstrate success in closing large sales on major programs, building strong customer relationships, and developing key account penetration at all levels.
- Experience with CRM and sales forecasting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Be a highly motivated self-starter with outstanding planning and organizational skills with the ability to work independently and communicate effectively.
Reports to: Business Development Director, Public Safety
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
More Jobs From