: Mechatronics Engineer
A Glimpse of What You Will Do
- Design electromechanical and software solutions for automated material-handling workflows and robotic manipulation systems (e.g. robot end-tools, material positioning stages, object identification systems).
- Lead selection, prototyping, and initial design of new sensing options (e.g. barcode scanners, beam-breaks, pressure sensors, force sensors, etc.).
- Install and repair sensors, robot end tools, mechanical systems, and controls.
- Work with customers to define and scope material-handling problems.
- Develop and work with our team to finalize electrical schematics, mechanical diagrams and system-level drawings.
- Record and analyze numerical and graphical data for presentation to senior leadership.
- Field-install and maintain systems by adjusting, repairing, replacing, or modifying automation/robotic system components.
- Generate documentation and build instructions for new hardware designs.
- Troubleshoot early-stage and early-production design and functionality problems.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters or Ph.D with a minimum 5 years' experience working in robotics or automation relevant field.
- Graduate degree in mechanical, electrical, software, or general robotics discipline.
- Ability to parse research papers/work and determine the functional from the theoretical.
- Fundamental understanding of best-practices in automation electrical and mechanical design.
- Strong familiarity using Linux operating system.
- Experience with python programming or comparable language.
- Familiarity with ROS software.
- Basic familiarity with SolidWorks or comparable CAD tool.
- Familiarity with quick-turn rapid prototyping practices (3D printing, low-volume CNC services and sheet-metal bending).
- Ability to follow electrical reference designs and make simple connections.
- Well versed in the use of measuring devices (e.g. oscilloscope, Vernier caliper, multimeter, laser level), inspection tools, and power tools.
- Experience with material-handling or related warehouse automation equipment including conveyor systems, robot arms, photo-eyes, proximity sensors, VFD drives, barcode scanners, safety controllers.
- Familiarity running Windows tools to update/edit custom device firmware.
- Use of rapid-prototyping services for sheet-metals, CNC, and plastics.
- Familiarity with industrial electrical work involving 220-480v hardware & standards.
- Understanding of electrostatic discharge (ESD) effects and concerns.
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art automation protocols (ASi, Ethernet/IP, IO-Link).
- Proven ability to find and understand COTS solutions wherever applicable.
- Previous experience designing, maintaining or repairing robotics and production equipment strongly desired.
More Jobs From