Owl Labs’ mission is to solve a problem we’ve all experienced: meetings suck, and they are especially painful for the remote participants on the other side of the call. Considering the rapid growth in remote and distributed work, this is a perfectly timed problem for Owl Labs to solve. The market is hungry for products and content that make remote and distributed work better.
Owl Labs is hiring a Mechanical Engineer to join our cross-functional team. The ideal candidate has brought multiple products from the early concept stage to the real world, with a focus on customer satisfaction. This role is inherently collaborative; you will work with engineering, marketing, design, and product teams, and interact with colleagues throughout all levels of the company. You should be excited and able to work effectively in a rapidly changing organization, and adept at synthesizing a variety of technologies into high quality product experiences that customers love.
In this role, you will be responsible for developing new products from concept to launch (and beyond). We’re looking for a Mechanical Engineer that will build delightful products to shape the future of remote meetings. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional and able to deliver value. If you love simple and elegant solutions that deliver value to users, then this is the right fit for you.
What You’ll Do
We are looking for computer vision engineers at all levels of experience who will help us advance our ability to make sense of the world and make intelligent decisions about how to react to it. On a daily basis, you’ll carry out some of the various engineering tasks as listed below, with some flexibility dependent on your level of experience:
- Lead technical concept development and execution for new and existing products in support of key market needs while concurrently thinking about longer-term future product investments and lifecycle refreshes.
- Understand the needs of our users and customers by participating in the kick-off of new projects while contributing to the team’s planning activities by helping scope work.
- Steer the success of our product in our broad culture of autonomy. You have the authority and responsibility to make things happen.
- Cross-functional collaboration with Other Eng. Competencies (EE, SW, QA), Marketing, Operations, etc.
- Leadership internally, and with contract manufacturing partners to provide technical feedback and consultation for system design or implementation activities.
- Identify, investigate, and recommend improvements in products or systems, while considering tradeoffs based on materials, manufacturing methods, and complexity to achieve desired goals for schedule, quality and cost.
- Promote quality through validation of system capabilities, performance, and safety through computer modeling and experimentation.
- Handle multiple, simultaneous projects with varying scope and time horizons.
- Manage BOM creation and accuracy, design reviews, CAD model, drawing and specification reviews, configuration management.
- Partner with external resources as needed to accomplish stated goals.
- Familiar with NPI processes such as FMEA, DFM and product qualification testing.
- Knowledge in statistical analysis techniques such as DOE and Process Capability.
- Communication with, and (if necessary) travel to manufacturing partners in Asia, USA.
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Owl Labs—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 4+ years in a mechanical engineering role in consumer products, complex mechanical/electro mechanical devices, or medical products.
- Knowledge of key manufacturing processes such as molding, machining, stamping, finishing methods, etc.
- Product development and qualification (verification, validation, stress testing, etc.).
- Knowledge of supply chain and operations process control.
- Test engineering, data collection / acquisition, and analysis.
- Experience working in an innovative, fast-paced environment with cross functional teams.
- Experience working closely with product managers and designers to build new products and features in a fast paced environment.
- Strong analytical skills using data to drive decisions, back up assumptions, and develop scale of expectations.
- Ability to make tradeoffs between technical scale, business outcomes, and customer needs.
- Ability to think strategically, execute methodically, and act decisively.
- Ability to work with teams at all levels of the organization. Collaboration is exciting to you and you enjoy understanding the perspectives of others.
- You welcome candid feedback and are looking to grow your skillsets.
- You multi-task and can synthesize multiple perspectives to get the most important thing done.
The best candidates will have:
- Experience with Creo 5.0 or equivalent CAD tool.
- Experience with Windchill 11.0 or equivalent PDM tool.
- Experience with Arena PLM or equivalent tool.
- Experience with FEA software such as ANSYS or Autodesk.
- Design of Acoustic Systems (loudspeakers / microphones / vibrations).
- Design of Optical Systems (lenses / lightpiping / ray tracing).
- Collaboration with Industrial Designers.
- Strong familiarity with multiple functional areas (e.g. engineering, sales, and customer support).
Owl Labs is over 40% remote and headquarters are based in Boston, MA. This role is an on-site position, though our team is currently working 100% remote due to COVID-19. Our return to the office is currently TBD.
Please submit a cover letter with your application explaining why you think you’d be a great fit as our Mechanical Engineer.
Who We Are
With $22.3M funding from Spark Capital, Matrix Partners, and Playground Global, Owl Labs has created the Meeting Owl, a 360° smart video conferencing camera that sits in the center of the table and uses robotics algorithms to automatically highlight different people as they talk. After launching the product in June 2017, thousands of companies have purchased the Meeting Owl, saying it offers the most natural and inclusive meeting experience they’ve ever seen.
Owl Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to our values of embracing inclusivity and creating a culture where everyone feels respected and connected, no matter the location of their work environment. We invite applications from people of all walks of life and are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need accommodations due to a disability, please let us know.
What We Offer
- Option to Work Remotely: We practice what we preach. Employees work at our Boston HQ, across the US, and often work a hybrid mix of in-office and remote.
- Flexible Schedule: We all work hard, and so we believe in working whenever you're at your best.
- Free Health Insurance: Enroll in Owl Labs's health plan for $1 for you and your family.
- Unlimited Vacation: We have big goals. It makes sense to take what you need, when you need it.
- Celebrate Inclusivity: Owlers get important holidays, including International Women's Day, Indigenous People's Day and MLK Day.
- Incredible Team: Learn alongside phenomenal folks from some of Boston's most successful tech companies.
More Jobs From