As a Materials Print Engineer, you will continuously improve our existing FFF material set and bring new plastic, composite and metal materials through qualification and out into the market. You will run print test suites and convince leadership that new materials are ready to launch. To do this you will use your materials know-how to look at structure-property relationships, make suggestions on changes to raw materials, and modify printing profiles. Perhaps you will end up tweaking software, changing the rheology of the filaments or modifying the sintering cycles to get the perfect parts. You will work directly with a team of materials scientists and print engineers and contribute to a collaborative and productive work environment. This role will be mainly focused on the metal side of our business.
What will you own?
- Print & design metal material test suites and test methods, with statistically meaningful analysis
- Design, develop and improve metal material printing and treatment processes to achieve desirable performances
- Perform experiments and use results to inform and develop improvements in materials, software, and/or hardware for better properties, robustness, and reliability
- Make hypotheses and determine several ways to test them
- Root cause 3D printing phenomena
- Record data, summarize findings, and present results
- Create easy to follow and detailed documentation
- Maintain metal printers and testing devices
- Comply with safety and protective equipment regulations
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point were getting at, it doesnt hurt to take a chance and apply!
What you have:
- A Bachelor's degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Metallurgy, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of metals, alloys, and metallurgy
- Familiarity with powder metallurgy a strong plus
- Familiarity with 3D printing, preferably metal 3D printing
- Takes ownership of tasks and has strong attention to detail
- Creative problem solver
- Ability to multitask
- Familiarity with CAD (Solidworks preferred)
- We use Apple computers and G-suite collaboration tools. While experience with these tools is not required, the ideal candidate will be excited to broaden their knowledge and embrace change.