Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, fasterand most importantlymore accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now were funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- Weve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortunes Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- Weve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each persons perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe its important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passionfrom employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
** This role is open to being remote
The Creative & Brand team is tasked with defining our brand identity and bringing it to life in scalable ways. As the Design Operations leader on this team, you'll ensure the Creative/Brand team is a well oiled machine. This means helping the team function at high efficiency, low friction, and ensuring designers have what they need to be able to generate high-quality design outputs. We are a lean Design Ops team that supports and elevates design at Better, driving strategic initiatives and cultivating a thriving design community.
Reporting to our Senior Director of Design Operations, the foundation of this role combines team operations, and program management. The projects you own will drive impact for our designers, writers and producers and support the day-to-day operations of our design team. You'll also help foster an internal design culture that is inclusive, educational, and collaborative.
What Design Ops handles
- Workflow: How the design work flows throughout Better
- Tools: Ensures the design team have the tools to get the job done
- Governance: Who needs to see the work, and when
- Infrastructure: What the team needs to work more efficiently
- Budget: How much does running the design team cost, and why
- Headcount: How many people are needed and with which skills
- Pipeline: Ensures there's clarity on projects coming up and how well staffed the team is
- Retention: How to make people want to stay
- Education: What skills are missing and how to learn them
- Evangelization: Help the company understand the value of design
What youll do
- Become the driving force of our design community at Better, working directly with design leadership on creating a strong design culture.
- Based on the current and changing needs of the design team, you will work on strategic projects that span Brand and Marketing.
- Define the scope and the resources that projects will need to get delivered, working across teams to handle stakeholder management
- Track and communicate progress across your projects, ensuring the teams are on track, facilitating decision-making, resolving blockers and surfacing challenges.
- Help drive context and visibility across the team, helping to break down internal silos.
- Develop new and support established programs to aid learning and inspiration
- Become an evangelist, advocate, and educator on behalf of our design team, elevating the teams presence within the organization.
- Help onboard new designers to the team and seek innovative ways to ensure that all new employees have a great experience joining Better.
- Always be acutely aware of the teams needs and provide feedback to our design leads in order to ensure all designers experience an enjoyable and balanced work environment.
- Enable continuous improvement during the projects, ensuring insights are captured, shared, and integrated.
- Build systems and processes that scale across the design discipline.
- Work with the Design Operations Manager in Product Design to ensure a close relationship is maintained between the two teams. This will include developing and implementing process improvements for how work flows from one team to the other.
- Help develop process improvements for Design Operations as a whole.
Who you are
- You have 8+ years experience in a Design Operations or Program Management role working with a Design team, or equivalent experience as a Producer or Studio Manager at a design agency.
- 4+ years management experience.
- You have a real passion for working with people. Supporting and enabling them to do their best work.
- Experience in roles working on cultural/community building programs.
- Strong operational and facilitation skills, with a proven ability to plan, coordinate and execute projects.
- Clear, compelling presentation and communication style.
- You have an ability to work with multiple leadership styles, and can be effective in unstructured and ambiguous environments.
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and their families, and we require vaccines out of an abundance of caution. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do whats in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itselfwe continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Weve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a persons merit, business needs, and role requirements.