Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. We started as a small team of developers determined to bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, were the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and weve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurusour employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
CarGurus uses data to support, enhance, and enrich our people and projects as well as our product development. Our Data Engineering department is actively looking for a Manager of Data Platform to play a multi-functional management role, with the responsibility of defining and implementing a Data Platform Strategy. In addition to directly managing our Data Platform organization, this leader will work with Product Engineering, Analytics Engineering, and InfoSec with a goal of improving data ingestion and data platform evolution. This individual will influence other data teams to define, socialize, gain consensus, and drive execution on a plan to establish a scalable Data Engineering Platform Strategy.
What youll do
- Gain a deep understanding of our evolving data and analytics stack
- Define and drive tactical decisions around Data Platform domain while providing input into larger strategic decisions around data infrastructure
- Grow, nurture, and evolve the Data Platform Engineering function to build a best-in-industry team
- Partner with Data Science, Analytics Engineering and Product Engineering teams to acquire and maintain an understanding of current and future business context and requirements
- Partner with infrastructure teams to develop next generation data platform capabilities
- Work with ours partners and stakeholders to build and maintain a technical roadmap that solves our biggest data challenges
- Build an data platform strategy and ensure the Data Engineering department can support the growing needs of the business
- Ingest and maintain pipelines to help maintain a single view of the common data required by different teams and subject areas to perform their responsibilities by creating and maintaining high quality data products
- Codify and evolve data platform standards that define how activity in proprietary and third-party platforms should be set up and ensure data can be captured and collected to satisfy data requirements and needs
- Work on promoting cross-disciplined roles & responsibilities and processes to set and promote data standards
- Deliver ongoing data quality validation as part of data pipelines and take proactive measures to improve data quality
- Help maintain a central data dictionary to help our end users navigate the CarGurus data universe
- Provide insights to data engineering leadership on how to improve data quality across the enterprise, and facilitate conversations with key data and engineering leaderships across the organization to help them overcome systemic problems
- Work closely with the Data Architecture Guild to identify and solve systemic data issues, and formulate plans to address architectural needs
What you'll bring
- 5+ years of experience as a data engineer, software engineer, or related field
- 3+ years of people management experience
- Professional experience developing and executing on a data warehouse and/or data platform strategy using a modern data stack at CarGurus, we use Snowflake, DBT, airflow, and docker
- Ability to move quickly in a dynamic and cross-functional team environment
- Expertise in SQL, Python, and system architecture with the ability to understand the context of a business need and build a system that addresses it
- Proven track record of rolling out and establishing scalable data and analytics platforms (we use Snowflake, dbt and Looker) with terabyte size data sets
- Comfortable leading technical team discussions regarding architecture and problem solving
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potentialstarting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. Thats why we hope youll apply even if you dont check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.
US employees must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. #LI-Hybrid