Located 30 minutes outside of Boston, Desktop Metal (NYSE: DM) is pioneering a new generation of additive manufacturing technologies focused on the production of end-use parts. We offer a portfolio of integrated additive manufacturing solutions for engineers, designers and manufacturers comprised hardware, software, materials and services. Our solutions span use cases across the product life cycle, from product development to mass production and aftermarket operations, and they address an array of industries, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, consumer products, heavy industry, machine design and research and development. At Desktop Metal, we believe additive manufacturing, commonly referred to as 3D printing, is one of the most exciting and transformational technology innovations of our time.
Type of Employment: Contract
The Machinist will work in an R&D machine shop with open shop policy alongside lab technicians and engineers. The individual will be responsible for fabricating parts, jigs and fixtures to specification per supplied drawing or collaboration. It will also be the responsibility of the individual to maintain cleanliness and consumable stock within the machine shop.
- Operation of manual milling machine, manual lathe, drill press, grinders, bandsaws and cold saw.
- Operation of CNC milling machines with HAAS and Dynapath controls.
- Generating CNC toolpaths and programs using Solidworks / HSMWorks.
- Plan and perform rough and finish machining on a variety of machines both CNC and manual.
- Design and fabricate fixtures, tooling, workholding as necessary to fabricate parts to specification.
- Construct parts and assemblies to tight tolerances.
- Provide guidance and direction to employees in the resolution of complex fabrication problems.
- Maintain shop cleanliness, order / replace consumables, perform preventative maintenance on equipment.
- Train and guide other employees on good machine shop practice
- Act as a liaison with other departments, units or organizations.
- Perform other duties as responsibilities necessitate.
- Work safely and without injury.
- Possess proficient reading, writing, and computational skills
- Ability to work independently or as a team
- Ability to teach and guide co-workers on good shop practice.
- Possess and demonstrate basic mechanical abilities
- Properly select and setup machines, workholding and toolholding.
- Thorough understanding and familiarization with ASME Y14.5-2009 Dimensional and Geometric tolerancing.
- TIG Welding and brazing of Aluminum, SS, Steels
- Ability to work with many different alloys, polymers, composites and ceramics.
- Must be well organized and able to maintain a clean shop environment.
Required Education and Training:
- High school diploma or GED.
- CNC training
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is continuously standing, repetitively grasping and repetitively using fine manipulation with the hands. The team member may be frequently required to walk, bend, squat, or twist as well as repetitively push or pull. The team member must be able to lift 10-20 pounds frequently and up to 40 pounds occasionally.
This position is performed in a shop environment. Team members in this position may be exposed to loud operating machinery, cold temperatures, hot temperatures, chemicals and vapors. The team member may occasionally be required to work in an office environment.
At Desktop Metal, innovation is at the core of our DNA. And we believe ground-breaking discoveries are born from diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or disability.