We are seeking a Lidar Sensor Expert on the Perception-Prediction Team with deep background knowledge in automotive lidars and its applications to autonomous vehicles. The ideal candidate is required to have solid understanding of lidar hardware capabilities, raw data, post/pre data processing techniques to use in perception and machine learning algorithms. In this role, you will be working closely with the component engineering team to own hardware acceptance tests, driving requirements and tunings for hardware to maximize perception algorithms performance.
The Motional Santa Monica office is located in the heart of 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica at 1453 3rd Street. With all the modern amenities for productive work and play, it is steps away from the popular pedestrian outdoor shopping area and Santa Monica beach.
What You'll Do
- Own hardware algorithm tuning to maximize software performance
- Own post processing algorithms before neural network consumption
- Drive hardware facing requirements, ensuring acceptance tests via well-structured test design, plans and test cases by working with cross teams
- Responsible for redefining what automotive lidars can do and pushing the boundaries of our perception stack's performance and safety
What We're Looking For
- Experience in automotive lidars and its artifacts (intensity, beam divergence, weather defects, interference etc. )
- Experience with multi lidar setups (sync requirements, point cloud merging)
- Experience developing and ensuring acceptance test or vehicle integration for lidars
- Ability to analyze results of benchmarks, road, and regression tests
- Knowledge of usage of lidar in detection and tracking algorithms
- Knowledge of Python or C++
- Ph.D or Masters in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Robotics Engineering, or a related field with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Experience designing and training neural networks using lidars for object detection or tracking