Motional is looking for a Lead User Researcher to help us deliver a user experience that is intuitive, comfortable, and that will develop trust for this state-of-the-art technology. Youll apply a user-centered approach to give our product team a deep level understanding of our users allowing us to prioritize and build the most meaningful solutions. You will also lead the planning and facilitation of user testing, in a fast paced agile environment.
In addition to conducting hands-on generative and evaluative research, you will also be responsible for managing, developing, and growing our small team of UX Researchers.
Please submit your resume, and at least 3 projects that best represent your capabilities, skills and interests.
What you'll be doing:
- Youll help foster a team culture of empathy and understanding of user needs and desires, while balancing business decisions and decisiveness
- Lead research activities in one or more product spaces on our team (i.e. rider experience, remote vehicle control, etc.).
- Set high level goals and vision for your focus/product area. Lead long term planning for experimentation roadmap.
- Lead, manage, and foster the growth & development of other more junior researchers as our team grows and expands.
- Employ a wide range of research tools and techniques, depending on your specialty (qualitative or quantitative) i.e. field visits, ethnography, video diaries, statistical analysis, eye-tracking, etc.
- Conduct additional secondary research, run user surveys/other quantitative studies.
- Lead the short term planning and facilitation of user testing sessions, in conjunction with the rest of the product team
- Deliver detailed and actionable research findings, and partner closely with designers and product managers to gain clear buy in
- Contribute to the growth of our User Research team and capability over time
- Identify and problem solve when issues with progress arise, shifting timelines and approach to meet new demands as needed
- Define how people interact with the future of autonomous vehicles!
What we're looking for:
- You are passionate about solving hard problems most havent faced before.
- Masters degree in Anthropology, Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Science/Engineering, Psychology or another human-focused research field
- 8+ years of industry experience focusing on Human-Robot interaction or similar spaces
- A keen desire to understand how humans think and act. You enjoy meeting, interviewing, and observing users in their own environments.
- Experience with leading and managing a team
- Experience with conducting qualitative and quantitative user research studies, and the knowledge of when and how to apply them during the product development process.
- Experience with designing experiments to elicit quantitative and qualitative data
- Experience with user-centered design methodologies
- Experience planning for, and leading, individual user testing sessions
- Experience working within a cross functional product team alongside product managers, designers, engineers etc. in a fast-paced agile environment (i.e. software company, startup, etc.
- Ability to clearly communicate your findings, and justify recommendations to different levels within an organization, including c-level executives.
- Good understanding of interaction design, user experience design, and hardware/software engineering processes
- The ability to be flexible and inventive, using non-traditional approaches to research and user testing, given our product space
Bonus points (but not required):
- Extensive experience with quantitative research
- Hands-on experience utilizing advanced technology for research, such as eye-tracking, driver monitoring systems, EEG, etc.
- Ph.D. level education in a field related to robotics, human-computer interaction, etc.
- Experience working in the autonomous vehicle or automotive industry
Why you should join us:
This role offers the opportunity to work on extremely challenging problems that havent been solved at scale. Were looking for someone excited to tackle problems such as how do we make a person feel comfortable with riding in a car thats driving itself? How can we manage a fleet of robotic vehicles moving around a city? How do we make vehicles accessible without a human to help? Our team is driven, not afraid, to solve problems like this.
Motionals Product Team, where this role sits, is at the forefront of setting the vision for our products from the experience of riding in an autonomous vehicle, to how to manage a fleet, to how roads are mapped, and more. We lead with a user-focused mindset, and as a Principal User Experience Researcher, youll have a direct impact in shaping the strategic direction of our company, and the future of mobility as a whole.
Lastly, while autonomous vehicles have been around for years, we are finally bringing this technology to market at scale. With over 100,000 public autonomous rides, and partnerships with major ride hailing players, a role at Motional offers the chance to drive the next revolution in mobility.
Rewards and advantages:
- Competitive compensation with bonus potential
- Competitive health benefits
- 401K with matching contribution
- Unlimited PTO
- Commuter benefits
- Discount programs and gym/health club reimbursement
- Opportunities to give back to the community
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
- Meaningful work that makes a difference in the world
- And much more!