Office Tour Photos
Join athenahealths quest to make healthcare work the way it should. Our health is incredibly precious, and people in need of health care are often at their most fragile. Yet the function and experience of healthcare continues to fall far behind the innovative services we receive in other more frivolous parts of our lives.
athenahealth is looking for designers who can dive into complex design challenges and create solutions to help transform the healthcare industry. If youre a talented, innovative, and strategic designer, motivated to make a difference in healthcare, then we want to talk to you. Help us break through all the red tape and transform everyones experience of a visit to the doctor, a trip to the emergency room, or a lifetime with a chronic illness.
Were looking for a Lead Designer to thoughtfully contribute to our award-winning electronic health record and physician practice management products. In this role, you will work closely with a multi-disciplinary agile R&D team to define, design and test product and digital service features with the goal of creating valuable and delightful experiences for our users. At the same time, you will set an example and establish best practices for more junior design colleagues. A successful candidate will embrace the challenge of elevating design within an enterprise product team, where user experience competes for attention against many other valid R&D priorities.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
50% - Design execution (primary)
- Identify and frame user-centered problems effectively
- Plan and facilitate problem identification and solutioning workshops
- Create low- to high-fidelity sketches to communicate concepts and ideas
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams throughout the agile planning, design and development process to deliver released product that meets design intent
- Collaborate with your team to ensure product features meet UX quality standards for workflow, interaction design and microcopy
30% - Design Strategy and planning
- Build deep understanding of healthcare workflows by planning and executing user, client, and domain research.
- Co-own business goals for the scrum team with partners in the Product and Engineering organizations.
- Partner with product & engineering leads help define how initiative strategy impacts your scrum team and its projects.
- Draft UX workflows that can guide detailed Agile design and development.
- Ensure design work is conducted using behavioral data focused on user-centered product success metrics.
- Facilitate product and engineering teams in building deep empathy for our users
20% - Leadership
- Demonstrate and promote best practices for working with product owners and scrum teams
- Participate in team-wide initiatives to improve design processes and practices
- Guide junior members of the team through mentorship and design reviews
Education, Experience, & Skills Required
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, Computer Science, Business or related disciplines
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in UX design
- Solid capability in UX creative and design techniques
- Experience facilitating, summarizing and acting on take-aways from user research
- Understand how to work within agile development process for the design, development, and delivery of software
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
Behaviors & Abilities Required:
- Skillful at influencing colleagues and project direction without direct authority
- Capable of managing ambiguity, change and uncertainty, focusing on information at hand and making good and timely decisions to effectively keep work moving forward;
- Takes appropriate risks through cost/benefit analysis of various alternatives
- Adaptable to ever-changing needs of a dynamic business with flexibility and willingness to jump into any aspect of work to help the team achieve results
- Enthusiasm for learning new problem spaces, with an ability to deeply immerse in a problem, rapidly develop an understanding, and produce actionable insights.
- Thrives in a highly collaborative, cross functional environment
More Jobs From