The Application Engineer is responsible for the overall maintenance and operations of our Application Portfolio, primarily focused on our hardware and software engineering applications. The individual will be a part of our IT Applications team. The Application Engineer will work with various business units to plan, direct, configure, integrate, maintain, upgrade, and continuously monitor and improve our application portfolio and help with application rationalization. This includes identifying and responding to feature enhancements, incidents, problems and planning for growth. The Application Engineer shall coordinate to deploy the release of new technologies and well as design, install, configure, test and maintain the applications. The Application Engineer must possess good communication skills and be able to work collaboratively with both business, DevOps, and IT departments.
The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the busting Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
- Develop and implement solutions that are required to help Motional operate as a stand alone entity. This means planning and implementing applications specific for Motional and performing integrations
- Act as technical liaison between business units, IT resources, and vendors to provide insight into our application portfolio
- Assess the interactions and interfaces between applications, databases, and middleware systems to identify and address gaps in functional coverage
- Support product engineers in onboarding applications that are fit for purpose, cost-effective, and include the optimal selection of implementation technologies and practices
- Assist in supporting the underlying solutions utilized for Motional DevOps environment and working with the DevOps teams to provide a highly available and scalable system for our global engineering team
- Develop and maintain data integration, ETL, automation and reporting applications (such as APIs, Dashboards, Workflows, etc)
- Investigate and help develop business cases for improved Business Process Management and appropriate modules/workflows
- Create and maintain technical documentation including data & workflows, user documentation, and master data management
- Assist users in training and operation of the solutions
- Managing software licensing process and tracking license requirements, utilization and capacity
- Provide support for various engineering applications and ensure smooth and reliable operation
- Coordinates enhancements, updates, upgrades and patches to ensure applications are maintained, running properly and protected from vulnerabilities and other security threats. Ensures users are kept informed of changes on a timely basis. Assists in testing prior to going live.
- Performance Optimization - Monitors and reports on processes, uptime, performance, utilization and capacity of technologies. Alerts management of less than desirable results and suggests action to remedy.
- Troubleshooting - Troubleshoot moderately complex support problems and provide timely resolution. Analyze failures and implement short or long-term corrective actions.
- Adheres to company policies and industry standards on compliance, information security and confidentiality.
- Identifies, remediates and documents improvements to IT processes.
- Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Passionate about automation, leveraging scripts to simplify system deployment, elasticity, and make systems fully available with business continuity and disaster recovery.
- In depth knowledge of engineering applications (like Polarion, CATIA, MatLab), API/microservices, and database configuration and management
- Familiarity with AWS and associated toolsets (Terraform, Packer, Chef/Puppet, etc)
- BS/BA in computer science, information technology or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years in a related
- Results oriented, high energy and self-motivated.
- Excellent communication both written and oral, in English
- Planning and organization
- Responsibilities may require evening and weekend work.
- Strong scripting skills are a plus