Purple Carrot is on a mission to cultivate the plant based revolution, one meal at a time. Were looking for an experienced and driven Fulfillment Operations Manager to join our team and help continue to grow our production capacity. This role will work to ensure inventory controls and best practices out of three third-party partner facilities in Allentown, PA, Chicago, IL, and Las Vegas, NV, overseeing key functions to drive continuous improvement in accuracy, efficiency and accountability across inventory activities on-site.
The Inventory Manager will support three on-site Inventory Specialists as direct reports, with one team member per site. This position has five key areas of responsibility: Inventory management optimization, quality control and accountability, systems (ERP/WMS) expertise and scalability, cost/waste reduction and continuous improvement. The Inventory team will be expected to collaborate with the Production Manager and on-site Sr. Production Specialists, working closely together to improve site key performance indicators (KPIs) overall. You will be in charge of maintaining and improving inventory traceability and data accuracy, from receiving to shipping, cultivating ownership, accountability and systems expertise across the team.
A successful person in this role will be excited to understand our weekly processes and learn how to improve them through data analysis and hands-on work, while also being comfortable implementing new processes and new products to support the strategic growth of the business. This role will require flexible hours and the ability to travel frequently as needed.
- Open to candidates in the Chicago, IL area
- Travel: On-site in Chicago, with regular travel to other fulfillment locations on the east and west coast.
On the Plate
- Collaborate with Fulfillment leadership, including your manager, to develop KPIs and OKRs to achieve business goals for the sites, acting as the liaison between the site operations and HQ, helping your team to identify the key priorities for the site(s)
- Accountable for timely and accurate inventory daily/weekly/monthly processes and reporting, by supporting on-site team with data-driven problem-solving and continuous improvement strategies
- Develop high standards for execution to meet all KPIs & financial metrics while supporting your team in achieving daily, weekly, monthly and annual goals
- Work directly with Inventory Specialists and partner teams to maintain lean, organized storage of all Purple Carrot products, with an emphasis on quality and internal controls
- Work actively with your team and cross functionally to optimize the ERP system and accompanying processes, and partnering with Finance and Data to develop dynamic reporting and analysis to drive improvements and accountability
- Support team of Inventory Specialists to develop robust analysis and process flow to drive progress on inventory KPIs by location, reducing waste and increasing efficiency
- Facilitate the exchange of inventory best practices between teams and distribution centers, working closely with Purchasing, Quality Assurance and Production Managers
- Support change management and training for implementation of new technology and policies, developing a team of super-users to support critical inventory systems
- Ensure capacity at each facility, especially during cycle counting, holidays, and Audits, anticipating and communicating challenges in advance
- Instill a data-driven and accountability-focused mindset committed to delivering the highest quality product
- Create a positive team dynamic that encourages team and partners to:
- Provide timely feedback
- Drive positive change within the facilities
- Adapt to the ever-changing business needs
- Communicate and hold operators accountable to KPIs and company culture.
Main Ingredients for the Role
- Bachelors degree or equivalent operations experience
- Five years+ experience managing operations or production in Food/Beverage/Perishables industry
- Two to three years people management experience
- Comprehensive background in Fulfillment, Shipping, Receiving, and Warehousing
- Familiarity with FSMA, GMP, HACCP, SQF
- Experience using ERP (Fishbowl and QB a plus) and WMS systems, with implementation experience preferred
- LEAN/Six Sigma certification, Kaizen or other relevant experience, and project management experience preferred
- Experience with change management
- Multi-site management a plus
- Conversational Spanish a plus
Extra Special Sauce
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Detail-oriented and driven to always find the root of an issue
- Hands-on attitude - willing to dig in to implement new solutions, troubleshoot a problem or support a team member
- Leader, team player and relationship builder - connect and communicate with a variety of people and personalities remotely
- Excitement for working in a fast-paced environment with a high level of ambiguity and change
- Process focused with continuous improvement mentality - constantly looking for ways to improve efficiency and quality
We love our staff, and show it with benefits (professional development, medical, dental, vision, FSA, and life insurance), matching retirement plan, unlimited paid time off, credit toward free Purple Carrot boxes, and the opportunity to work in collaboration with co-workers who are passionate about food!
Purple Carrots top priority is protecting the health and wellbeing of our team and candidates. Due to COVID, the majority of our interviews and assessments occur virtually. If there is a need to interview onsite, we have extensive precautions in place, following the CDC, WHO, and state guidelines.
We are committed to a safe and inclusive work environment, free of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetics, national origin, ancestry, age, medical condition, mental or physical disability, handicap, veteran status, or marital status.