SimpliSafe is looking to hire an Intellectual Property Counsel to our expanding Legal Team to support the continued success and growth of the broader organization, development of our product set and expansion of the SimpliSafe brand into new markets. Reporting to our Senior Technology, Product & IP Counsel, in this role you will serve as a key member of the Legal Team in continuing to implement the companys IP strategy, managing the companys IP portfolio, assisting with legal support across the entire product development life-cycle, and advising on a wide array of technology, product, IP and related commercial matters across all aspects of the business.
Today, we are the fastest growing home security company in the country competing against entrenched mainstays like ADT, and the new-to-the-space giants like Amazon and Google. To compete in this ever-growing IoT home automation security space, we must learn and iterate quickly, work collaboratively, and deliver creatively.
What youll do:
- Contribute to the ongoing development, refinement and implementation of companys IP strategy
- Manage, foster and cultivate the companys IP portfolio; work with the business to capture and reward innovation; manage freedom to operate and product clearance studies, including competitive, landscape, and whitespace assessments; and support contests, challenges and disputes
- Assist with various supplier and manufacturing partner related relationship issues and agreements
- Support a wide array of technical projects and initiatives, such as those relating to product/data security & privacy concerns, open source software compliance strategies, requests for data production, technology licensing, a variety of commercial agreements, etc.
What youll bring:
Legal Department Required Attributes and Skills:
- Excellent written, oral, listening, and organizational skills with proven ability to interact effectively with varied business and legal team constituents, including executive team members.
- Possess strong negotiating skills and high degree of business savvy to facilitate practical, creative and positive outcomes.
- A low ego, roll-up the sleeves mindset, can-do attitude and strong sense of humor.
- Ability to work collaboratively on customer obsessed cross functional teams as one team.
- Ability to work leanly and nimbly in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, deal with rapidly changing priorities and work within committed budgets.
- Possess an intellectual curiosity about our business and desire to grow and develop beyond your comfort zone, consistently seeking to challenge and raise the bar. Must be willing to stretch into areas that are not core strengths, as needed, to support business.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Sound judgement and ability to analyze situations and information.
Preferred Skills / Experience:
- An undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or Computer Science.
- Experience working in-house, preferably at a company with a global footprint and IP portfolio.
- Experience working with consumer products or companies that have substantial e-commerce (direct-to-consumer) and retail distribution models is strongly preferred.
- Undergraduate technical or business degree and registration to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office is strongly preferred.
- Experience with privacy and security compliance and related issues as they pertain to Product and Engineering functions (generally) and data-powered consumer products and supporting technology platforms (specifically).
- Knowledge or comfort with open source software, data use, and advertising technology.
- Experience supporting high-growth technology companies engaged in international expansion.
- Experience working with IoT and connected home products and services and assessing related legal and commercial issues.
Required Skills / Experience:
- Admission to a State Bar and able to register as in-house counsel.
- 3-6 years experience practicing in a dynamic, fast paced environment, with experience both in an in-house and large firm setting strongly preferred.
- Experience independently drafting and prosecuting patents before the USPTO and managing international patent portfolios, performing product clearance assessments, and assisting litigation matters.
- Exposure to other intellectual property matters, including trademark, copyright, trade secrets, open source software, etc.
- Strong commercial skills, business expertise, and problem-solving skills are paramount.
About SimpliSafes Legal Department:
SimpliSafes Legal Department is charged with representing the companys interests on a global basis and serving as a critical business partner across all functions to solve some of the most complex problems facing the organization and help guide and shape key strategic considerations, commercial opportunities and internal initiatives. Our team is trusted and empowered to act and do whats needed to protect the best interests of our company, customers and employees, and we take this responsibility seriously.
Our goal is simple: to achieve great results, identify and mitigate risk, and set the company up for success. We do this by developing strong relationships with our business partners to better understand their needs and concerns, embracing a practical, thoughtful and solutions-oriented approach, employing a low-ego, can-do attitude, and delivering timely risk-adjusted advice, guidance and feedback.
As a team we collaborate and support each others success and development, and approach our work with a strong sense of commitment matched by an equally strong sense of humor to ensure we continue to find our experience working at SimpliSafe to be fun, rewarding and challenging.
SimpliSafe is a leading innovator in the home security industry with one mission: to make every home secure.
SimpliSafe protects over 3 million Americans and were growing at a rapid pace. We pride ourselves in being daring innovators, humble cooperators, and data-driven thinkers. We go wherever the best idea leads us, work selflessly to get the best outcomes for our customers, and constantly analyze & reevaluate our efforts.
Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If SimpliSafe sounds like a company youd enjoy working for, wed love to hear from you!