Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is looking for the Head of Revenue who will build out and lead the full cycle Revenue and Order to Cash functions at a hyper-growth SaaS company. This is a Director level role reporting to the Corporate Controller. If you are passionate about technical revenue accounting for SaaS, working with cross functional partners, scaling O2C operations using technology and automation, we would love to meet with you! We are a mission driven team that believes in our hard work, cares for each other, loves our GTM teams and ASC 606!
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Oversee the revenue function directly responsible for maintaining the revenue policy per ASC 606 for all revenue streams (subscription and professional services) and implement a systematic process to ensure proper recognition of the transactions. Act as the in-house technical expert on the revenue policy and advise on the accounting implications of non-standard financial terms and modifications on sales contracts.
- Collaborate with sales and services teams to create and maintain a set of audit proof evidence that supports delivery of each performance obligation to substantiate revenue recognition.
- Develop and oversee the Order to Cash function responsible for sales contract review and management, validation of data in Salesforce and NetSuite against the contracts and revenue policy, invoicing and collection. Be a strategic partner to build the scalable and efficient processes across sales, services, legal, EPD, FP&A, etc.
- Design and improve revenue and O2C tools and software that integrate with related policies and systems seamlessly; generate reliable and timely financial data and metrics; optimize operational efficiency and salability; and implement public-company ready internal controls.
- Own global sales and use tax compliance and filing requirements. Manage the team that builds a comprehensive workflow encompassing periodic evaluation of the indirect tax exposure and requirements on international, state and local level; obtains and validates sales tax exemption certificates; collects and remits sales taxes as appropriate; partners with the Tax function to ensure timely and accurate filing of sales tax filings as well as perform related reconciliations.
- Maintain a policy and account for incremental sales costs and contract fulfillment costs in accordance with ASC 340.
- Create a partnership with cross functional leadership to keep abreast of the business priorities and strategies to generate meaningful financial insight and KPIs in evaluating the historical trend, planning and forecasting of cash and key A/R metrics. Design and perform periodic evaluations of A/R reserves.
- Lead, coach, mentor and train the team; take an active interest in their professional development; find ways to continue their growth and well-being.
- Participate in month/quarter/year-end accounting close as well as audits. Ensure that financial data entered by the revenue and O2C team is timely, accurate and in accordance with GAAP.
- Lead or assist on special projects as needed (e.g. compliance filings, system implementation, etc.).
- BS/BA in Accounting or equivalent with a strong understanding of GAAP, general ledger structure, and financial statements required
- Minimum 6 years of experience working directly in revenue and O2C roles, with an emphasis on building technical and systems expertise required.
- Minimum 2 years of managing a team required
- Experience adopting ASC 606 required
- Experience in high-growth SaaS environment with subscription and service products required
- Experience in public accounting and public company required
- High proficiency using the NetSuite Advanced Revenue Management module (or similar) in multi-currencies required
- Strong MS Office Suite skills including VLOOKUP, if functions, pivot tables, etc. required
- Proficiency using Salesforce and FloQast desired
- Analytical and motivated to self-educate; able to identify and report relevant issues to management for timely and accurate resolution
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Must be able to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and demands
- Versatile, enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects and tasks
- Ability to communicate effectively with teammates and various levels of management as well as external contacts
- Reliability with strong work ethic, maturity and professionalism to handle confidential data
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.