Wayfair is looking for problem-solving entrepreneurs to join our Strategic Spend team both to act as a key thought partner to multiple existing key investment areas, and launch a new service line supporting $10+ billion of direct materials spend At Wayfair, we move extremely fast with a laser focus on customer success, which means we need people who can look beyond solely cost, areadaptable doers who are great at engaging with stakeholders, are analytical data-driven thinkers, and who will flourish in a role with considerable autonomy and visibility.
As the GM of Strategic Spend, you will work closely with senior leadership to help drive informed decisions that lead to the best long-term value for Wayfair. This role will be instrumental for driving operational excellence and offers an exceptional opportunity to develop global category sourcing strategies from the ground up, and on a challenging size and scale.
How is this opportunity unique?
- You will own the highest spend areas at Wayfair, which account for more than 80% of addressable spend. Our largest costs are the items we sell on our website, and the supply chain expenses to get them to our customer. You will be the Strategic Procurement leader working with stakeholders on those teams.
- Youll lead the launch of a new service line, focusing on how to make the greatest impact. Using cleansheet / product tear down analytics, youll work with our largest stakeholder to have a substantial impact on Wayfairs cost structure.
- You will move fast and take risks. If you loved working at a start-up or in another fast-paced, risk-taking environment, youd enjoy working at Wayfair. Be prepared to constantly evolve.
- Our business is in a high-growth stage and so is our team. Were looking for team members who are ready and eager to get their hands dirty and drive results right away.
What Youll Do
- You will effectively manage multiple projects at a given time in a rapidly evolving environment.
- You will work to develop a structured approach to problem solving with limited oversight and direction, prioritizing the needs of cross-functional stakeholders in the process.
- You will develop and clearly communicate the strategic vision for stakeholders (i.e., the what, why, and how)
- You will partner with stakeholders to support negotiations with suppliers to achieve the best commercial outcome
- You will identify additional and novel opportunities for spend optimization across Wayfair functions
- You will create data-driven category strategies, sourcing activities, and spend baselines across multiple lines of our business, helping shape and challenge the business case for specific spend initiatives.
New service launch
- You will own the project management of a bottoms-up cost model, from design to pilot to scaled roll-out, addressing Wayfairs single largest area of spend (>$10 billion)
- You will partner with Category Management to design, build, and implement a cost database (internal and external data) to feed the model
Most importantly, if you enjoy fast-paced and high-impact work, youll have a great time at Wayfair!
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor's degree, plus 6+ years of experience in management consulting, corporate finance, strategy, procurement or engineering with a track record of success. MBA preferred.
- Expertise building cleansheet cost models, leading product teardowns / design benchmarking, advanced spend analytics (E.g. cost regression modeling) and/or other advanced cost models
- Ability to thrive in a high growth, entrepreneurial, and ambiguous environment where strong project management skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities are a must.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees and executive management.
- Proven ability to manage and develop a team of direct reports, setting clear objectives, providing coaching, and supporting the delivery of high-quality work.
- Articulate and persuasive communication skills, both written and verbal.
- An interest in technology and business operations, coupled with an ability to learn quickly.
- A track record of successful negotiation and relationship management skills.
- An ability to hit the ground running and learn quickly; a confident self-starter
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.